Need help identifying technique

Starting point for beginners questions.
joakime

Post by joakime »

<newbie alert>

I'm wondering if anyone can help me identify the technique/style used for some buttons I purchased some 20 years ago at a museum gift shop somewhere in the DC / NYC corridor (sorry, can't remember the exact place)

They are plastic, with a simple smooth plastic top, and the backing of them have an embossed lettering "Made in England" and a pretty standard pin/clasp mechanism (hey, its a button afterall)

What makes these so appealing to me is the unusual behavior for a hologram, that they are a pattern and not a more traditional easily recognizable 3D shape, and are colorful in nearly all lighting conditions.
I'm just starting out, wanting to learn, doing my research, etc.
I'd appreciate any help in identifying any aspect of these buttons.
Heck, do they even qualify as holography? *shrug*

Thanks,
- Joakim
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

They're not holograms, they're either lenticulars or some sort of fibre optic arrangement.
Jeffrey Weil

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

That item uses what's called a Fly Eye's lens to make things move like that. Its a series of very small lenses. It's not a lenticular.

Hey Dinesh, sorry I didn't call you to go to the bar at holopack yesterday, I got derailed from my path by the Brits.

Jeff W
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

Jeffrey Weil wrote:Hey Dinesh, sorry I didn't call you to go to the bar at holopack yesterday, I got derailed from my path by the Brits.
Well,if you went to where you told me the Brits were going, I'm sure you were too occupied to return my call! Hope you took some video so I can put it on my Princess Leia display. Nuff said!