Still not princess leia but getting close?

Have a great holography link? Post it here so we can all use it.
John W

Post by John W »

We seem to be getting closer to the star wars type hologram everyone wants. This technology creates points of light by superheating the air to create a plasma. You wouldn't want to stick your hand in there i'd imagine!

http://www.aist.go.jp/aist_e/latest_res ... 60210.html
eric343

Post by eric343 »

Last semester we had to make a presentation on some kind of research (usually fictional) that we'd done, for a technical writing class. Being an amateur holographer, I decided to write mine on a method of making "princess leia" holograms that I came up with on the spur of the moment... by using a pulsed laser to ionize arbitrary points in space!

Of course, I had the beam being directed by a computer-generated interference pattern inside a crystal, instead of using mirrors and a high-speed Z axis lens.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Did you specify a crystal?
eric343

Post by eric343 »

Well, some kind of spatial light modulating device that can handle the high instantaneous power while displaying at the high-resolution necessary to create an interference pattern. The crystal was an example I used in the presentation, inspired by the Benton / MIT Holovideo system and particularly convenient because the "research" I was proposing would take place in the Star Wars universe (literally developing the Princess Leia hologram) where they modulate those darn Light Saber laser beams with some kind of magical crystal.