beany lion (with chriasmas tree ornament)

This is a place to post pictures of your latest work.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

This is my latest effort at doing a reflection copy of a transmission hologram. Its my best effort on PFG-03c so far.

The gory details:

- Exposed to 700 microjoules/cm^2 with 532nm light, as observed with a meter calibrated for 632nm.

- 30 second pre-wash in distilled water

- 30 seconds JD-4 developer

- 30 second wash (back into the same tray as the pre-wash)

- 1:30 in JD-4 bleach (till clear, and then around 20 seconds more)

- 30 second wash in distilled water

- 30 seconds in a 2 percent solution of ammonium dichromate

- 30 seconds wash in distilled water

- 30 seconds to a minute in tap water

- I then held the wet plate over a sink, and poured 70% isopropanol on it, to get rid of most of the water.

- 30 second wash in 91% isopropal alcohol, to dry. <---- Don't do this, it will cause the emulsion to crack

- Final drying sitting more or less vertical on a paper towel.

- back of emulsion spraypainted black with matte black krylon paint

I have historicly had problems with printout, within 3 or 4 days of making the hologram. I had first tried acetic acid, as recommended either here or in "Practical Holography". That helped, but not very much. Ammonium dichromate after the bleach, as suggested on the forum, works much better. (Though 2% may be too concentrated.)

I have also observed that the documention for JD-4 specifies 30 seconds in the developer, and it means it. When PFG-03c is over-developed, the emulsion turns milky white. I have pictures of over-developed holograms as well.

I am currently having problems with water marks, due to drying poorly. Thus the isopropal alcohol. But it causes the emulsion to crack like tried mud, so don't do that... How do people successfully squeegie PFG-03c? The emulsion falls off if you look at it funny.
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

Why are you using PFG-03 rather than VRP-M? Are you working with multiple laser colors?
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I like car windshield blades for a squeegee but with PFG-03 a hardening bath helps. Also, look into an air knife. I have one that works well if I can keep my compressed air clean. (I run it through a trap then 25 ft of copper tubing in a bucket of ice water than a water filter.) This is an old set up I used for spraying laquer and helps on very humid days.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

MichaelH wrote:Why are you using PFG-03 rather than VRP-M? Are you working with multiple laser colors?

I wanted the finer grain of the PFG-03c, in hopes that it would make the resulting hologram brighter. I have VRP-M too, and have made some very good transmission holograms on it, but reflection holograms seem brighter on PFG-03c.
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

It's great to see more and more holograms being posted here on the forum.

Nice hologram Tommy!