HalfCoin - My very first hologram :-)))

This is a place to post pictures of your latest work.
glajciorz

Post by glajciorz »

Good day.

Yesterday I shot my first succesful hologram :-) Yeeehah !

Don't ask what the object was :-)

The medium was SM635TR photopolymer between 2 microscope slides with 25um spacers (Al bonding wire).

Denisyuk scheme.

Exposure time was 3 minutes, bleaching took some 15 s.

I used 5mW laser module (with it's colimator), shutter was pulled out from dead Minolta X20. It was fired from another room.

I used photo tripod standing on a styrofoam (to minimize wibrations from the shutter).

Laser warm-up and polymer settle time was 40 minutes.

It was my 5th exposition, previously I used cardboard shutter.

Special thanks to MichaelH - without descriptions about SM635TR in your blog I would expose 15'' or so...

Optical bench looked like this :-)

I needed something heavy - so I used a 0,25uF/30kV capacitor (it weights 30kg). It lays on 8 plastic bags (that are being used to fill packages).

As a safelight I used this :-)

greetings

Adam
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

Adam, excellent job!

Is the sandwiched emulsion lying right the coin? Or is the plate resting on the clips holding the sandwich together? It looks like something moved.
glajciorz

Post by glajciorz »

Slides with clips were lying on a tower of 5 coins (to make sure clips didn't touch the bench). Not a good idea, but after placing emulsion between glass I noticed that the coin is too thin and had to improvise :oops: :)

Tonight I'll try to place my coin in a little sandbox and lay the plate on it.

Another thing is that my object was not evenly lit (after building tower of coins) :lol:

greetings

Adam
glajciorz

Post by glajciorz »

Using little sandbox helped - full coin can be seen on yesterday's hologram :-)

Guys (and ladies too :-) ) - do you have any problem with recording holograms during very windy days ?

greetings

Adam
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

Actually, a coin is not the best object. Something not shiny and painted white that diffuses the light works better.

Wind you say??? Heck, sometimes if the moon isn't in the seventh house and jupiter is not alligned with mars a hologram will not turn out...

Wind could be creeping in your house and thus providing unstable air currents. Or the wind could be making something move repetitiously (oscillating) and thus introducing vibration in your lab.
DJ Mathson

Post by DJ Mathson »

Congratulations to your success.

With the recent storms in Europe, with many demolished houses, I suppose these winds could ruin an exposure also... ;)