Sorry To Beginners

Have a great new article on a science related topic? Post it here!
DrOutlier

Sorry To Beginners

Post by DrOutlier »

8) I think the problem is subjective. It should be made clear that some beginners will ask questions different than others. Change the off-topic intro. from science-related articles to include questions that will be from fiction and doesn't fit with general theory because the basic technology isn't there yet.

Any ideas for holographic television belong off-topic until one is available at a store. I understand that now. Just like imagining a wall and a distributed holographic projection system that would monitor and translate the cross-sections of a hologram as it passes through something.

Jitterbug! I thought the biggest problem was the publication of The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot. That one book alone will end up delaying holographic television by at least ten years. Apparently my faux pas is just as bad.
Colin Kaminski

Sorry To Beginners

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Have you read any of the papers on MITs holographic video project?
DrOutlier

Sorry To Beginners

Post by DrOutlier »

Some of it is interesting. Parts are also over my head as an electrical technician. What I understand is they are great at holograms of objects that are created by the computer but far from true "take a recorder to your kids recital". Right now, I believe they are still using pre-programmed interference patterns. Without an adaptive system I can't see how they'll predict every dark fringe that can be caused by our world of white light.

The object-based media group has the right idea using off-the-shelf video cards to make an inexpensive holovideo display for the standard PC. I think history will record that as the Tin Lizzie of holographic video.
Colin Kaminski

Sorry To Beginners

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I have witnessed a laser interferometer of sorts that can scan a scene in a few seconds and generate contour plot digital files. This could then be run through a FFT and interference patterns could be generated. This would be lots of computational power but we get better computers every day!
DrOutlier

Sorry To Beginners

Post by DrOutlier »

What it sounds like is a LIDAR system which is passive recording. It alsp sounds like the system during those few seconds of processing stops recording and you're left with essentially snapshots of the scene.

You are right. Computers keep getting more powerful. Let's just keep throwing brute force at the problem. Just like in strong A.I. research...Actualy, that's not a good example. They haven't achieved that yet either. Exactly how much more brute force must be wasted before we take a page from Mark Tilden and realize more efficiency will come if we make the body of the recorder smarter so the brain doesn't have to work as hard.