3D scanner

Have a great new article on a science related topic? Post it here!
Kaveh

3D scanner

Post by Kaveh »

This looks great:

https://www.nextengine.com/

High quality 3D scanning on the desktop, and pretty low price.
Tom B.

3D scanner

Post by Tom B. »

Very well done commercial site - the product looks good. It's too bad their user forum is viewable only by registered owners. In making a purchase decision it would be helpful to see how they respond to the inevitable user problems.

The face scan was interesting - if single-view scans take 2 minutes how did they get such a clean scan from an eyes-open and presumably live subject?
Kaveh

3D scanner

Post by Kaveh »

Maybe they have a pulsed version? ;-)

Good question. I can only think the guy's head was secured at the back, and he fixed his eye on one point. Looks like two views were scanned and stitched together.
Colin Kaminski

3D scanner

Post by Colin Kaminski »

The portrait scanner I saw was faster and it swept lines of 532nm light across the object in x and y axis. Any movement made the image dissapear. So if my infant would blink she would have no eyes. The operator did not know how it worked. It must be something like this product however.
Colin Kaminski

3D scanner

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Colin Kaminski

3D scanner

Post by Colin Kaminski »

http://www.david-laserscanner.com/

Here is an interesting open source scanner that can be built at home for a few dollars!
Kaveh

3D scanner

Post by Kaveh »

Colin Kaminski wrote:http://www.david-laserscanner.com/

Here is an interesting open source scanner that can be built at home for a few dollars!

Great idea. But I am not sure the license, and whether it can be modified and redistributed. If it was GPL free softwarwe, it would have been even better.
Colin Kaminski

3D scanner

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Disclaimer:
-----------
The authors have developed and tested the software “DAVID”. The software worked correctly under the tested hard- and software environment. The authors grants the permission, to any person, to download the software free of charge and to use the software for uncommercial purposes. Since errors can never be excluded without any doubt, the software is provided without any warranty; without even the implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. No author shall be liable for any claim, damages or other liability, arising from, out of, or in connection with the software or the use or erroneous documentations, links or other contents. The authors reserve the rights to change, extend, and delete the software without preceding announcement. The authors are not aware of any third party rights that might be violated by using the software, but a guaranty is not given. Due to a filed US-patent, which proposes a similiar 3d measurment technique, it can't be ruled out that the software usage in the USA will be considered as patent infringement.

Yes, I would have to say it is not open licence at all. It would be nice to see the source available under GPL or GNU.