Little problem

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
JohnFP

Little problem

Post by JohnFP »

Hey FryX good to hear back from you.

I am going to assume that the plate is the thin line on an angle at the end of the expanded beam which goes from left to right in your illustration. Assuming that, your geometry look good for a reflection hologram.

If the distance from the film to your object and back to the film is longer then the coherence length of the laser, the light that goes through the plate and hits the object and bounces back to the plate will not help in making the hologram. This alone without the other "helper" object lighting would be a Single Beam Reflection hologram. But even if the object is to far away for your coherence length, you should still be able to use the "helper" light to get the beam paths equal. You have to start measuring from the beam splitter down the reference beam path to the plate. A non stretchy string works great. Then you have to insure the "helper" object lighting is exactly the same length (or actually within your coherence length). This needs to be measured from beam splitter, down the path to the object then from the object to the film. I would get them within a 1/4 inch or so.

As a first test I would drop out the bottom object lighting (or just block it out) and take the object and place it as close to the film as you can (almost touching) and try to make that hologram. You can then insure that your processing is correct, then go back to the additional object lighting if you wish. Stability is a must for reflection with a free standing object. My suggestion has always been to make a hologram with the plate lying right on the object for a first attempt. That way there is minimal leeway for movement. This illustration uses film clamped between two glass plates which could be a holographic plate alone and the illustrion uses supports for the object but I would suggest using an object that lays steady on its back and a plates will lay steady on the front.
http://www.holograms3d.com/Illustration ... Single.jpg
For this configuration, you can either mount your laser overhead and point it down or point it up to an overhead mirror and then stear it down to the plate. This is just a suggestion to elliminate movement as your problem in which you can then concentration on processing. It's hard to find a problem when more then one exist. You don't know if what your changing is good or bad. :wink:

The brown rings that you see in processing probably match up exactly with the Newton rings you see from the specs on your lens. Place a white card where the film would go and look a the the laser light expanded through the lense hitting the plate. Do you see the same rings? While a little detractive from a final hologram, you should still be able to get a hologram despite these rings.

Questions/suggestions:
Do you bleach until the plate is clear?
Are you using plates or flexible film?
Do not dry the hologram at all with hair dryer, let it dry naturally after squeegying the water off.
FryX

Little problem

Post by FryX »

Thanks for the suggestions, JohnFP. Here are some answers on your questions:
JohnFP wrote:Do you bleach until the plate is clear?
No, our processing manual said to do a fixed time, I'm using JD-4 with pfg03-m plates. (Wich is said that it works fine with hairdryer drying.) But now I know why the brown spot dissapear over time. It's still reacting on the light :? .
JohnFP wrote:Are you using plates or flexible film?
Answer is above :P . Plates.

We shall move our stuff to get things in the right lenght. But there is one problem with the setup you suggest: we don't have anything to mount our laser on. And it is quite a big thing :) .
JohnFP

Little problem

Post by JohnFP »

Well, the overhead geometry set up is not too hard and we can use what you have already. See my illustration below.
Also, may I suggest you use a flat (not glossy) white object instead of a red object. A flat (not glossy) white porcelain figurine works very well. Again this simple geometry is to get your processing down, then you can change to any table configuration you wish.
OverheadMirrorGeo.jpg
OverheadMirrorGeo.jpg (17.96 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
JohnFP

Little problem

Post by JohnFP »

FryX, not sure which instructions you have but here is the instructions Integraf has on their web site. Let's go over a few points, ok?

http://www.holokits.com/jd-4_holography_developer.htm

I. There are three parts to this processing (2 seperate developer parts and 1 bleach part).
II. Here is your tray order (Part A and B of the developer get mixed in the first tray and the bleach goes in the third tray.)
Developer >> Rinse >> Bleach >> Rinse >> Wetting Solution
A&B
III. Here is the processing paramaters, which you should keep the same and adjust exposure time to get the good hologram. In step three below is states to bleach until clear then another 10 seconds. Also, use the longer rinse times (3 min), not the short ones.
1. Develop:
Quickly submerge the plate into the developer so that all parts get wet evenly. Slush it around for about 10 seconds. The hologram should turn almost black.

2. Rinse:
Rinse the developed hologram with agitation for at least 20 seconds. For best results and longer lasting holograms, rinse up to 3 minutes to make help ensure that all of Part A has been rinsed off.

3. Bleach:
Place the rinsed hologram into the bleaching solution; agitate it until the plate is completely clear (this may take up to 1 minute); bleach for another 10 seconds.

4. Rinse again:
Rinse the bleached hologram with agitation for at least 20 seconds (up to 3 minutes).

5. Finish in wetting solution:
Optionally, place the finished hologram in this solution for about 20 seconds. Then, remove the hologram to dry. For best results, avoid streaks or runs as you remove the hologram from the solution.
IV. Finally, it states it is best to let it dry naturally, which is what I suggest. Blow drying introduces additional problems.
A good way to dry the hologram is to stand it against a vertical surface with the bottom edge resting on a hand-towel or tissue paper. Best results are obtained when it dries naturally in clean, dust-free air. However, if time is limited, the hologram can be quick-dried by holding it vertically and blowing warm air across it with a hair dryer.

Feel free to ask additional questions. :)
Justin W

Little problem

Post by Justin W »

Howdy Fry!

Aside from all the great suggestions from the highly knowledgeable holographers above,
let me chime in my two cents worth of nonsense -

Thanks to JohnFP's enlargement of your provided photograph, I'm getting a better look at the object you have chosen to hologram....
I have to guess that no matter how cherry your set-up, you are going to have a very difficult time getting a bright hologram of an object that color.
Try to avoid dark colors. Light colors will almost certainly result in brighter images. Try to stick to whites, silvers, beiges, yellows, etc. And avoid unglazed porcelain (the image will appear grainy). I would think as far as ceramics go (if you choose such an object) make an effort to use something light in color with a semi-gloss finish - think satiney.

Or just skip the middleman and image a pewter object :wink:
Justin W

Little problem

Post by Justin W »

LMAO!!!!!!!!!
Now I finally see that John already addressed this issue...
Colin Kaminski

Little problem

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Justin,

I like your comment about unglazed porcelain. I think you are describing speckle. There are some very cool ways to eliminate speckle in the literature. If you ever "have" to make a hologram and speckle is a problem post and we will find a solution.
dave battin

Little problem

Post by dave battin »

you should take Tom B's advise and set up an Michaelson interferometer , based on what ive read here you have not done a thorough stability check, you need to introduce each optical component (one at a time please), to see each component's stability of your system. until this is done you can not be sure of any stability at all ........