Single mode fiber question

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
Jem

Post by Jem »

Hi all

As some here will know I have an unhealthy interest in using fiber optic cable for holography, so far i've been using 6um ex-telecom fiber to experiment with.

I would now like to get a bit more 'scientific' and use some 'correct' fiber. I have a Coherent Compass 315m 100mw laser, what fiber size should I be using in order to keep the beam single mode? also what size microscope objective should I be using to launch the beam into the fiber?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Jem
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Single mode fiber is really designed to keep a single mode over miles of twists and turns. Everyone I ask in the know says if we keep the runs short and the bends wide it makes no difference. I have a customer who sold fiber optics and when I asked him about a few feet of single mode fiber he laughed at me. :oops:
Jem

Post by Jem »

Colin Kaminski wrote:Single mode fiber is really designed to keep a single mode over miles of twists and turns. Everyone I ask in the know says if we keep the runs short and the bends wide it makes no difference. I have a customer who sold fiber optics and when I asked him about a few feet of single mode fiber he laughed at me. :oops:
Thanks for the reply Colin, I find this hard to believe though.

If it is true, does that mean I can use some thick fiber (which is easy to launch into)? will polarisation be maintained? Call me Mr Sceptical if you wish but I can't see that the beam will be preserved however short the run. In a way I do hope you are right though, it will make things much easier.

I know John Klayer(I think - sorry john if iv'e got your surname wrong :oops: ) has done some good experiments and had success making holograms with allsorts of fibers, but something inside me says that it must be better to use the correct fiber :roll:

Anyone else care to chip in ???

Jem
John Klayer

Post by John Klayer »

Yes, I've made some decent two beam transmission holograms using a 1 mm multimode fiber and even fiber bundles for the reference beam. Good luck using a single mode fiber. If I was trying it, I'd use a space filter movement and use the focal length calculated for a pinhole the same diameter as the fiber core. Thor Labs sells short lengths.