Holograms trobuleshooting help

Starting point for beginners questions.
Arturo

Post by Arturo »

Hi,

I have this single beam transmission hologram made on litiholo photopolymer. It is the most basic bypass configuration, no mirrors to get lighting from the right position, no care at all on polarization/Brewster angle, plate edges not covered... All of which surely would improve the results.

But it does not look bad at all, but there are two features that bother me, and I'd like to understand what is causing them so that (1) I can avoid them and (2) I can better understand the underlying processes going on here... If possible I'd like you to help me learn if the features displayed below are caused by any of the above factors, by movement, by the laser... :)

This is the setup, light coming from the right:

This is the hologram as lit with the recording laser beam:

This is what I find that bothers me (other than the shadow cast by the object over the plate!) and I'd like to find the cause for those:

1) In the first photo there is a clear horizontal lines pattern, most visible on the bottom right of the hologram.

2) In the first photo there is a less clear but more disturbing horizontal lines pattern with lower frequency (wider dark/light bands)

3) In the second photo a vertical pattern similar to (1)

Could someone help me reason where do they come from? Vibration, internal reflections on the plate, mode hopping...? Thanks!
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

Its hard to say, but i'm going with mode hopping. be sure to also blacken out the leading edge of the film plate with some black tape or paint marker as this will help with some stopping the light entering the edge of the hologram ...............
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

Arturo the plate on this setup isn't moving down? The edge of plate may be need to be secured and resting on the left side onto mirror?

The plate is resting on the emulsion side? Try rest it on the glass side because the photopolymer is soft, guess is the Bayer one, is still relatively soft before polymerization.

Did you use only the red wavelength?
Arturo

Post by Arturo »

Sergio wrote:Arturo the plate on this setup isn't moving down? The edge of plate may be need to be secured and resting on the left side onto mirror?
Sergio, I don't think the plate is moving down, but it might :oops: . As you can see in the first picture there is a grove along the base where the plate is 'inserted'. It is also resting on the left side onto the 'mirror' as you suggest; I think the set-up is pretty stable: the plate is secured on the grove, and leaning down about 20 degrees resting on the left support by gravity.

However, this 'mirror' you mention that supports the plate is actually a piece of plastic, which might or might not be stable with temperature, so it might make the plate move it is expanding/contracting (I had 15 min settle time and 7 min exposure). But also, it just occurred to me since you called it a "mirror" that this piece might not be diffusing light and rather acting as a mirror can be creating a 'second' reference beam coming from the top/left that interferes with the 'main' reference... does this make sense?
The plate is resting on the emulsion side? Try rest it on the glass side because the photopolymer is soft, guess is the Bayer one, is still relatively soft before polymerization.
This is so! (The plate is litiholo) I thought setting the emulsion side to the object would maximize exposure, but since the emulsion is coating a plastic film which is in turn set on a glass plate, the arrangement is as follows: glass/emulsion/film/support... so as you suggest the direct contact of the film to the support is surely unnecessarily pressing against the (soft) emulsion... Thanks!!!!
Did you use only the red wavelength?
Yep!

Thanks for the tips Sergio... food for thought :)
Arturo

Post by Arturo »

holomaker wrote:Its hard to say, but i'm going with mode hopping. be sure to also blacken out the leading edge of the film plate with some black tape or paint marker as this will help with some stopping the light entering the edge of the hologram ...............
Yep, Milan also suggested mode hopping or non-single mode beam. I will make sure I cover the edge of the plate for next exposure too!

Thanks! :)