Curious about a large hologram @ MIT Museum

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
walschuler

Post by walschuler »

Yes, that was a model for the design of Parc de La Villette. The Parc has since been built and has the largest science museum in the world, a great music venue, former slaughter halls as biannual art show galleries, lots of open space and interesting gardens, is penetrated by the canal St. Martin on which there is a cinema, and has a set of spectacular fire engine red steel deconstructivist follies designed by Tschumi. He was in Switzerland and Paris at the time he designed the park.

The hologram is illuminated from both sides. The image background is black but you see other parts of the gallery through it. The model was made of lucite, I believe. The hologram is spectacular and when it was on display at the old Museum of Holography in NYC you could see it a meter deep from the street.

It is faintly possible Tshumi may be able to put you in touch with the holographers, if other ways fail. You might try to contact him at the department of Architecture at Columbia U. in NYC. He was the chair there for some years. You could use my name as I worked with him on a project for the redesign of Flushing Meadow park some years back.

Bill Alschuler
favalora

Post by favalora »

That's very kind of you, Bill, and you gave us a vivid description. I hope to visit it some day.

Happy Holidays,

Gregg
mazzero

Post by mazzero »

Hello,

Hologram "Villette" in MIT Collection

Many holograms were made before the web big growth... also in France. That's why it's difficult to find the right infos about this hologram.
The hologram was made in 1983 in Metz, Lorraine, France, by AP-holographie.
It was showing "Le parc des folies" the winning project of architect Bernard Tschumi for the "Parc de la Villette". The "Musée national des sciences , des techniques et de l'industrie" ( "MNSTI" ) à la VIllette in Paris, commissioned the hologram.
It's a "2 colors" rainbow hologram with an animation (letter V moving inside of the main building)
It was conceived as an hologram of a computer generated image, before in was really possible to do it. So : done with multiple masters steps and collages of graphic planes. On an AGFA 95cm x 100cm HD holographic glass plate.
Almost a tenth of copies were done. Many might be lost.

AP-holographie's team at that moment was : Jacques Bousigué, françois Mazzero, Fabien mazzero, Jean-François Moreau, Orlando Nadaï.
AP''s hololab was installed in a laboratory of Metz IUT directed by Prof. Carabatos. Prof. J.J. Henry was often working with our team at that time.

( Jean-Marc Fournier and the Tribillion brother's created "Holo laser". Pascal Gauchet created "Atelier Holographique de Paris", still existing.)

The Boston copy was previously exhibited in the MOH, Mercer Street in New York. But before in Bloomingdales who showed this holo. during "La fête de France".

Francesco Mazzero
alias François Mazzero

PS :I discovered and joined the forum today because I'm going to launch ap-holographie.com this coming summer. With many infos on our works made between 1978 and 1987.
I kept stage photos on quite all our lab works. We did hundreds of large formats holograms.
So, hoping that this will be relevant.
Regards to all.
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

Glad to know, I remember a book from Jean-Marc Fournier that has a photograph of a 1m² hologram of Venus-de-Milo, I guess Jean is now on Harvard?
mazzero

Post by mazzero »

Hello Sergio,

The "Venus de Milo" hologram is 100 x 150 cm. This was the largest holograhic glass plate produced by AGFA. There were sold by 2pcs in a wooden case.
And the "Venus" hologram was a world record in matter of size in 1975.
It was made by Fournier and Tribillon in the "LOBE" in Besançon.
Jean-Marc is now mainly in Europe.

Regards
Francesco
walschuler

Post by walschuler »

Francesco,

Great to know you will be working on the project of reconstitution, and for all the details on the La Vilette image.

Sergio, last I heard Jean-Marc was at a University in Switzerland, with occasional visits to the US. He was at Ed Land's Rowland Institute in Cambridge, Mass. until it folded a few years ago.

Bill
holo_cyware

Post by holo_cyware »

This is so interesting.

I personally met mr. Pascal Gauchet in Paris at his lab, and I saw amazing holograms he made with a HeNe laser. It's sad that the interest in holograms is not so great anymore to the great public. He's been making a living out of holography for almost a lifetime, and quoting him "holography is with ups and downs, according to the media. For instance, people became very interested in holograms once the Star Wars movie was released."
mkrjf

Post by mkrjf »

BTW - there is a photo in Optical Holography - and it appears to be laser illuminated and not a front / back as you mention (Saxby book shows that approach two sided reflection hologram).
http://books.google.com/books?id=tatDuL ... us&f=false
This photo must be of the master and the box set you mention a transfer rather then contact copy. Any details on format that it was sold to collectors - white light transmission or two sided monochrome reflection? Any idea how much they sold for or if they are on display anywhere? I can only guess they required a lot of light!!
Mike