Looking to start holography - where do I even start?

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
Jem

Post by Jem »

Hi Beta7

Your enthusiasm is to be commended. However, Before you spend too much time on your business plan I would urge you to actually *make* some holograms first.

Take a look at this link...

http://www.colourholographic.com/

Colourholographic make the BB range of glass plates. These are well tried and tested and will give you a good stable place to start your endeavours. If you're using a red laser you'll need the BB640 plates and if you're using a green laser you'll need the BB520 plates, for a blue laser it would be BB450 plates.

It's much more economical to start off by using small plates. The 2½" square plates are absolutely ideal, this will allow you to work on your exposure times and processing without excessive cost or wastage.

Hope this helps a little.

Jem
Beta7

Post by Beta7 »

What should I use for a "safe light"? McNair's "How to make Holograms" book doesn't have anything about what to use, and other than that, I think I'm all set to start making holograms (stuff should be arriving in the mail today after 2 weeks of waiting).
Viking

Post by Viking »

I use green leds. Get the high power ones. They are the ones in a clear colour less housing. Aim them at the wall or the ceiling.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

If you bounce the LED off of a DVD you can see how narrow the spectrum is. Some have lots of red in them. I have used LimeLights for red sensitive film. If I am using them over the table I use a green gell on them as well.

http://www.holowiki.com/index.php/The_Lab#Safe_lights
jnhong

Post by jnhong »

Those red, or green, or blue LED flashlights, the small ones you can attach to your keychain, are so common now. You can sometimes get them from the gas station or car wash. I alternate between the blue and green lights and I don't see an advantage from one to the other.

If you're using red-sensitive plates and you happen to have a green laser pointer you can use that too -- shine it on the wall behind you but shadow your film/plate anyway. There should be enough light to manipulate all your work. Common sense - if you have a 200 mW burning laser maybe you should turn down the power a little bit.

Joe
Beta7

Post by Beta7 »

Okay, so I got the kit and everything assembled, and made my first hologram last night. I left it leaning against a cardboard box overnight and went to sleep (so it could air dry).

This morning, the only thing on it were finger marks (though I was wearing the whitish elastic gloves that nurses and such use).

I exposed the plate to the laser for 15 seconds (10 second minimum was suggested on the instruction paper in the kit), had it in the developer and bleach solution for 3 minutes (each), with a 2 minute rinse period inbetween them and then after the bleach. The plate turned black, then clear (as the instruction page said it should). I had a nightlight (white light) turned face down (with a cover on it) underneath my table (although light did seem to shine through my white, plastic utility sink).

So what did I do wrong? I'm fairly certain there wasn't any movement when I exposed the film to the laser, since I held my breath the entire time (and it was 11 PM, so everyone else was asleep and not moving around on the floor up above me).

Hopefully I can get a quick answer - I'm planning on making another hologram soon (going to try adjusting quantity of "part A" and "part B", going to increase exposure time to laser (at 12" away instead of 14"), and going to reduce amount of time in developer/bleach), and would like to not waste another plate.

Thanks!
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

ok , my quick answer was really a question? how long did you let it settle for? i would let it set at least a 1/2 hour to be sure, and baffel to cut out drafts too! good luck!
Beta7

Post by Beta7 »

At what point am I supposed to let it settle? After setting it all up, but before I remove my "shutter" (which I have to wait a little bit after that as well)?
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

Beta7 wrote:At what point am I supposed to let it settle? After setting it all up, but before I remove my "shutter" (which I have to wait a little bit after that as well)?
it needs to settle after you load the film into it holder....................
Beta7

Post by Beta7 »

Okay - that's what I thought. :P Was just making sure. ;)

Although I screwed it up this time as well - let it settle BEFORE putting the plate on the pile of coins (kit had no holder :think: ), then give it only 2-3 minutes to settle after putting the plate on the tray.

I just hope this one turns out - I just want to have SOMETHING (no matter how terrible looking :P) turn out. :pray: