fixing with strong whitelight

Dichromated Gelatin.
ahgu

fixing with strong whitelight

Post by ahgu »

What is the logic behind fixing with strong white light, doesn't it expose the entire plate?
Which method is better, chemical or white light?
Joe Farina

Re: fixing with strong whitelight

Post by Joe Farina »

White light does expose the entire plate, but I suppose the rationale is that the hardness differential (light fringes vs. dark fringes) remains somewhat constant after white light exposure, even if the "overall" or average hardness of the layer increases. In recent years, I've had better luck with chemical "development." Silver halide is a lot different compared to DCG.
holomaker

Re: fixing with strong whitelight

Post by holomaker »

I think there may be a misconception between shooting DCG green and shooting DCG in blue ,when shooting in blue very little dichromate is used and after exposure there or is far less dichromate to be removed, in comparison to shooting in green where the film has as much ammonium dichromate as you can get into it before crystallizes , in order to remove that amount of dichromate will take a long process of water washing and light hardening .... Sound correct ?

I Agree with Joe, when the light hardening is successful it smooths out those unexposed regions giving a more uniform development