where do you guys get small glass plates?

Starting point for beginners questions.
hologram

where do you guys get small glass plates?

Post by hologram »

i've been looking for small glass plates to practice with.

i was only able to find standard microscope slides, but i would like something larger -- maybe 2x2" or 2x3"

if i could order them in bulk from china that would be ideal.

thanks!
admin_jsfisher
Site Admin

Re: where do you guys get small glass plates?

Post by admin_jsfisher »

Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

Why not cut them yourself? The cutter is usually available at a hardware store, they might even cut your sizes them for you. A local stained glass artist might also do it, but if you can go to a stained glass supplier, or check on-line, you will find a variety of devices to cut shapes consistently. I have a Glastar Glass Stripper and Circle Cutter that allows me to hack up a 30 by 40 cm plate into bite-sized test pieces.

There's not too much more satisfying to hear the zip of the cutter making a fissure on the glass, and the snap as it separates. If you go the DIY way, you should also get a pair of breaking pliers to make life simpler.

Glass cutting is a good skill that can come in handy and impress your friends. Plus you can use any thickness glass, or recycle window glass.
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
Din

Post by Din »

hologram wrote:i've been looking for small glass plates to practice with.

i was only able to find standard microscope slides, but i would like something larger -- maybe 2x2" or 2x3"

thanks!
Talk to Integraf http://www.integraf.com/shop/holographic-film-plates
They pretty reasonable, but I believe Integraf has contacts in China, if that's the supply source you want.

By the way, Integraf also has kits which contain everything you need to make a hologram, as well as an instruction manual.
hologram

Post by hologram »

Din wrote:
hologram wrote:i've been looking for small glass plates to practice with.

thanks!
Talk to Integraf http://www.integraf.com/shop/holographic-film-plates
They pretty reasonable, but I believe Integraf has contacts in China, if that's the supply source you want.

By the way, Integraf also has kits which contain everything you need to make a hologram, as well as an instruction manual.
Oh, I just mean ordinary glass plates. Or maybe they're called slides? Panes?

In any case, thanks for the replies. I was about to order from hometrainingtools, but the shipping to Canada is many times the price of the slides themselves!

Thanks for the replies.
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

Glass slides are available in 2" x 3" and are cleaned and edged and ready for coating.if you do a bit of searching you'll find them....
admin_jsfisher
Site Admin

Post by admin_jsfisher »

hologram wrote:In any case, thanks for the replies. I was about to order from hometrainingtools, but the shipping to Canada is many times the price of the slides themselves!
You sure of that? I checked the site (admittedly only briefly), and I thought it had flat-rate shipping to the US and Canada. ($5.95 USD for shipping, so about $14.00 USD for 72 plates.)

Then again, if you want to spring for 10 gross, either Amazon or eBay has them for about $120.00 USD shipped.
hologram

Post by hologram »

admin_jsfisher wrote:
hologram wrote:In any case, thanks for the replies. I was about to order from hometrainingtools, but the shipping to Canada is many times the price of the slides themselves!
You sure of that? I checked the site (admittedly only briefly), and I thought it had flat-rate shipping to the US and Canada. ($5.95 USD for shipping, so about $14.00 USD for 72 plates.)

Then again, if you want to spring for 10 gross, either Amazon or eBay has them for about $120.00 USD shipped.
Yes, initially it said $5.95 for shipping, then it changed to $22 on the final checkout page :/ Maybe because I'm in Canada?