First attempt at DCG... success?!

Present your work.
pluto

First attempt at DCG... success?!

Post by pluto »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Liyr6KZUN70

I did not expect this to work at all the first time around. I actually chose one of my less presentable plates, anticipating no result!

The subject is a small domestic housecat skull I bought on eBay some time ago.
Process:

105 second 532nm exposure at ???mW (I really need some way of measuring laser power output!)

15 sec - fixing with 60w LED bulb

15 sec - water bath

15 sec - 35% IPA wash

15 sec - 70% IPA wash

99% IPA wash, until diffraction visible + 15 seconds (~2min)

Then dried on a small but hot heater.
This is very exciting. Can't wait to experiment further. But I really need to get a few hours sleep in before work :D
BobH

Re: First attempt at DCG... success?!

Post by BobH »

Excellent!!! Doing DCG means a lot of glass cutting. I recommend you set up a nice work station with fixtures to make it easy and fast to cut plates the size you want square and neat, clean them well, and store them clean and dust free. You'll also want another dedicated workstation for finishing the holograms, where you can trim, seal, remove excess glue, sand the edges, do final inspection and cleaning, and store the completed holograms (including your test pieces). You'll go through a lot of glass. Handling it and managing the dust mess is a big part of DCG work that's usually overlooked in the books.
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

What is the method of your coating? If you are doing veil coating you can tape all of those slides together in a row on the backside and coat them all at once . No doubt they'll be many mistakes made but I think I gave you enough slides so you can just put them back in Clorox and easily clean off the emulsion . It's a great feeling when you see your first hologram !
Attachments
Veil coat slides
Veil coat slides
image.jpeg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 7375 times
pluto

Post by pluto »

holomaker wrote:What is the method of your coating? If you are doing veil coating you can tape all of those slides together in a row on the backside and coat them all at once . No doubt they'll be many mistakes made but I think I gave you enough slides so you can just put them back in Clorox and easily clean off the emulsion . It's a great feeling when you see your first hologram !
I did a really sloppy veil coating, haha. That's a great idea, putting them end to end! I haven't even unwrapped the slides you sent me, I'm saving those for when I'm actually decent at holography. Right now I'm using glass from dollar store picture frames.

It absolutely is a great feeling! Especially when you're not expecting any sort of success! The first hologram I saw in real life ended up being my own :D Thanks again for helping me get started :) This hologram has since faded away, but more are to come...
Din

Post by Din »

Well done!
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

If you're going to try to Vail coat all the slides together , don't use the first one and the last one, put them back in the Clorox or wash them off. Be sure to put two lengths of tape down the entire sides to act as gutters for the overflow