Developer Kit confusion

Starting point for beginners questions.
lobaz

Re: Developer Kit confusion

Post by lobaz »

MrBungle wrote:so will just make smaller batches.
I expect you are very, very patient! :)
Some chemicals take ages to dissolve.
MrBungle

Post by MrBungle »

lobaz wrote: Some chemicals take ages to dissolve.
Thank you Petr, experience coming forth again.

The instructions make no mention of this.
Can you say how long they take to dissolve?
Hours/Days?
I would guess it would only be hours?
That shouldn't be a problem, If I mix at the start of a session, should be ready to go by the time I need it.
If it does take a day or two then I'll just have to delay development, store the latents carefully and do a batch process a few days later.
In which case I'll need to be anal about my note taking ;)
lobaz

Post by lobaz »

MrBungle wrote:Hours/Days?
It's not THAT bad :)
Phenidone is slow, it dissolves maybe an hour. Most other chemicals I worked with are faster, say a few minutes each.

But when I consider I must: find the proper chemicals in the storage, find the scales + spoons + beakers, check the recipe, measure everything, mix, side the chemicals, wash everything, ... It can easily take an hour until you are ready to begin with holography. Everything can be faster if you have a lab agitator, a lot of working space and - if possible - a lab technician :)

Anyway, a holographer must be patient. Waiting half an hour until everything settles down? No problem.

P.
MrBungle

Post by MrBungle »

Thanks again Petr, I think I can live with that.
At least until I've gained experience and I'm no longer the slowest thing in the process :lol:

Thanks for mentioning the agitator, never thought of that. I have a stir plate left-over from my home-brew beer days that is very similar to the one pictured (agitation helps yeast starters), though mine also has a heater plate.