Musical Instrument Holography

Holography related topics.
conortrevena

Musical Instrument Holography

Post by conortrevena »

Hi,

I am currently working on a project where I hope to create an "interactive" holographic Piano keyboard. I am aware that in some senses this blurs the lines between holography and projection, but I am looking to use a holographic image of the Piano keyboard, and then to have some kind of detection system where by if a key is "pressed" it will play a note.

I am wondering if anything like this has been done, or more vaguely if people have done holograms of musical instruments?

Thanks in advance,

Conor Trevena
jrburns47

Re: Musical Instrument Holography

Post by jrburns47 »

There is a laser projected computer keyboard sometimes called a holographic keyboard. There are a variety of sensors able to detect xyz coordinate location of an object via light, sound, ultrasonics, etc. Seems like what you may be interested in is pressure sensing at specific locations, for example via the piezo electric effect. The idea of using a hologram image as the keyboard probably wouldn't make any difference to using a photographic keyboard. It might make a difference if you used a projected hologram image of a keyboard as opposed to a virtual image since the fingers would be in/on the projected keyboard but don't know how the xyz and/or pressure sensing would be accomplished. Google the laser computer keyboard for good leads. It may have been sold by The Sharper Image.
pluto

Post by pluto »

Once you have the hologram of piano keys, you could just put a capacitive touch panel over it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-inch-capacit ... 2748491638

You can hook this up to a Raspberry Pi or similar. The screen will output XY coordinates which you can use to determine which key was pressed.

The panel is glass, so you could even record the hologram directly onto the sensor :) Developing it would be interesting...
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

Michael Page of Toronto had a contraption where you "played" the hologram of an antique drum, complete with a hand attachment so you could "feel" the drum head, at the MIT ISDH in 2012. Check out the on-line proceedings for his paper.
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
Michael.Wenyon

Post by Michael.Wenyon »

What a great idea, the 'air piano' can't be far away (sorry, I don't think the video works any more):

Intel floating display with Realsense technology video demo
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/ne ... video-demo