Status of email service

Announcements and discussion about the operation of this forum.
admin_jsfisher
Site Admin

Status of email service

Post by admin_jsfisher »

As it turns out, running an email server from a home broadband connection is unnecessarily complicated. In the past, I didn't need a local server; Gmail was willing to handle all the traffic as long as it was from a known gmail.com address. I used holographyforum@gmail.com.

Life was simple. Then Google decided simplicity was a bad thing, and my simple link from the Holographyforum software to Gmail stopped working.

Only until just recently did I finally have the time and ambition to install and configure a local email server. Sending email was surprisingly easy, or at least so I thought. Receiving mail was fraught with twists and turns (all of which I had created for myself as it turns out, but that's a different story). Finally, oh blessed finally, I had it all working...only to find out that my Internet provider reports all their residential IP address blocks to SpamHaus, and there are some email servers out there that do not accept email from servers listed by SpamHaus. (Ironically, my own Internet provider is one that rejects my email.)

Heavy sigh.

As it turns out, and much to my surprise, there are a couple of (free!!) services that will relay email from my email server, completely bypassing the SpamHaus blacklist.

So, with the email server reconfigured to forward outgoing email to the relay, I am now mostly confident email is again working properly.
admin_jsfisher
Site Admin

Re: Status of email service

Post by admin_jsfisher »

Well, I am pleased with how it is all working now. I hope others are, too. Real-world restrictions on what you can do with a home Internet connection has forced me to do things I didn't even know I needed to do...and those things have reduced the number of spammer forum registrations for several hundred per week to zero, and junk email to a manageable few.

Still, I get some gems that arrive in my inbox. Here is one from today I felt compelled to share. I particularly like the "I think you have a 7+ figure business" part. I had no idea we were so valuable.
Hey,

I would like to get you featured on a podcast with absolutely no cost.

On top of that, I would also get you featured in an online article and
create video content for social media from your podcast appearance all at
no cost.

Why am I doing this?

Because I know once you see how our PR firm operates, you’ll want to work
with us.

Don’t take my word for it. Try it yourself at no cost to you.

We are doing this for the first 10 people who get back to us who qualify
because it takes up a lot of our team's time.

The only thing I ask is that you tell me if your business is NOT doing 7+
figures.

I reached out to you because I think you have a 7+ figure business. Most of
the hosts that we have connections with are looking for 7+ figure
businesses to interview.

I want to make sure we don’t lie to them so please let me know if you
aren’t.

So, if you qualify, check here to see how our process works for this and
book a short call with one of our PR Strategists:

Click here: --> https://bit.ly/empathy-firm

Best,
Grant
Din

Post by Din »

admin_jsfisher wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:36 pm
Still, I get some gems that arrive in my inbox. Here is one from today I felt compelled to share. I particularly like the "I think you have a 7+ figure business" part. I had no idea we were so valuable.
The heck with 7 figures! We're over 9 figures! Somewhere between 3 and 10 billion - https://www.grandviewresearch.com/indus ... ket-report. This link evaluates the holographic market at 3 billion, but I've seen other reports go up to 11 billion.
Of course, this is in the technical field, not green figurines.I don't know how the embossed market is doing, since I haven't seen an embossed hologram for several years. Most of the financial activity seems to be in HUDs, NTE's, communications and other technical fields.
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

Din wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:38 am Of course, this is in the technical field, not green figurines.
ha ha ha :lol: