One-step real-image reflection hologram?

Holography related topics.
Cycy

One-step real-image reflection hologram?

Post by Cycy »

I am interested in a simple setup (ideally single-beam) single step real-image reflection hologram.
I came across this paper which uses the mirage (optigone) device consisting of two confocal concave mirrors. The holo plate is placed where the virtual image is formed:

https://ir.ucc.edu.gh/xmlui/bitstream/h ... sAllowed=y

Would it be possible to replicate this setup using a large short focal biconvex lens instead, or even a fresnel lens ? Placing the object as 2 x focal length from the lens and the holo plate also at 2f on the other side in order to have the real image of the same size? What i am thinking is placing the lens in a large tube with the object at the bottom and the holo plate sitting on top where the ref beam will enter.

Any thoughts would be welcomed!
jrburns47

Re: One-step real-image reflection hologram?

Post by jrburns47 »

Yes, standard one step focused image hologram. Haven’t done it in reflection but you can place the plate so that the focused image is on one side of the plate or the other. Seems pretty straight forward. Candidly, surprised that the European Journal of Physics would consider it for publication in 2007. Either political or a slow month😊 or maybe I’m missing something… good luck. Problem with focused images is that the z-axis is foreshortened compared to making a two step image plane.
BobH

Post by BobH »

One needs a large diameter, short focus lens to do it with reasonable field of view. And the setup will involve more than a single beam. This type was included in the holograms I made when I was a student at Vincennes University in 1980. When done in transmission mode, the image is achromatic.
Din

Post by Din »

Yes, a 2f-2f geometry will create the real image on the other side. But, you have to consider aberrations, particularly coma and astigmatism. Coma will distort the image and astigmatism will cause a variation of the focus through the depth of the image. To avoid this, the lens has to be much larger than the object; coma and astigmatism are functions of the height of the object from the axis, and the greater the deviation of the object away from the axis, the greater are the aberrations, relative to the diameter of the lens. If the object is too wide, you'll get field distortion, which will curl the edges of the image, again, the greater the deviation from the axis, the greater the aberrations. In terms of jrburns comment, a point at exactly 2f will recreate a point at exactly 2f. However, if the object has depth, then only one plane will be at exactly 2f. Any plane through the object that deviates from this distance will suffer lateral and longitudinal magnification, and, as jburns has stated, longitudinal magnification is greater than lateral magnification, ie the z axis will be foreshortened. The focal length itself doesn't matter, so long as you have the room. The greater the focal length, the greater is 2f and the greater is the 4f distance you'll need along with other optics.

At American Banknote (ABNH), we used this technique to record the so-called "security image", which was the letters ABNH recorded on the image. This was a transparency about an inch wide and about a quarter inch tall. We used a 3 inch diameter lens
jrburns47

Post by jrburns47 »

Agree with all of the other comments and want to reference this further elucidation by DIN:
https://holographyforum.org/forum/viewt ... 932#p72932