Essential holography components

Sell or buy stuff.
Forum rules
Finding new homes for holography-related items is encouraged. Even commercial enterprises with goods to offer are welcome as long as it is in the spirit of members helping members. If a for-sale post reads like an infomercial, though, you have probably crossed the line of acceptability.
holowizard

Post by holowizard »

Plateholder, 4 x 5 inch, with base, post, and clamp, ready to go. $250. 5 x 7 inch, $350.
Spatial filter, three-axis open form, 4-inch beam entrance height. No objective or pinhole (but I recommend 40x and 15-micron combination to give best beamspread and filtering characteristics), $500.
Beam director/steerer. Two variations...one-axis, right-angle head and two-axis steering head, $250.
Twin two-axis heads, $325.
Pics can be viewed on the Forum - Beginning Holography section, Homemade Holography Components thread, page three, along with full descriptions. PayPal accepted. Questions? Call me at (858) 565-7038 or email me at brucewegmann@gmail.com Reasonable offers considered, and will discount for purchases of more than one item. Free shipping within the continental U.S.
Jeffrey Weil

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Holowizard, why are you selling your equipment? I hope it's so you can get even more!
holowizard

Post by holowizard »

No...actually, I made a lot of spare parts at the time I originally built these (some of the set-ups were complicated and time-consuming, and it just didn't make sense to go through all that trouble to make only one of anything). What I've done is dig up the box of bits and pieces, do some finishing and assembly, and can now offer the spares. Up until now, I hadn't given much thought to whether anyone else might have need of them, but I've read enough posts here to realize that a lot of Members are struggling with things that these instruments were built to make easy...so here they are. I understand that they're not exactly cheap (frankly, I wish I was in a position to just give them away, but circumstances are what they are), but much less expensive than anything made commercially, or anything made by a local machine shop (where they would simply be another job, with no appreciation or understanding of what they would be used for, or how well they have to work to be really useful). The spatial filters are a good case in point; the little Daedal ball-slides cost $130 each back in the day (early-mid 70s), and, as they came out of the box, weren't usable. I had to toss out the original 8-56 drive screws, and put in my own, self-made 1/4-80 ones. I had seen the beautiful Data Optics filters at the NEL lab, and used measurements from those to build my own version. I think my effort produced a very satisfactory substitute (years later, I did obtain a pair of the DO filters, and I can say the performance is equivalent).
Hopefully, all these things will find new homes and give my fellow holography fans many years of good service. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to call me at (858) 565-7038. I have no problem offering an absolute money-back-if-not-fully-satisfied guarantee on everything.
Holomark

Post by Holomark »

Looking forward to adding some new to me equipment to the table. Looks like I will be getting a couple of spatial filters, plater holder, posts, bases, beam director...
I anticipate some nice clean holograms with no plate movement, and I hope to be asking myself: " how did I do this without plate holder, spatial filter..."