Lloyd Cross

Topics not fitting anywhere else.
Joe Farina

Lloyd Cross

Post by Joe Farina »

Joe:
Lloyd Cross is passing away. I have sent this email to friends in common. Please consider forwarding
it to the Holographic Forum as many who knew him will want to know this. You may print or disseminate
this email as you wish.

Reported with sadness,

Don

Don Gillespie
Eldon Engineering
eldonlaser(at)aol(dot)com
April 27, 2015

Lloyd Cross is passing:
Cecil, Lloyd's wife, has called me . She tells me that Lloyd is passing and may not make the night. Cecil is understandably having
a hard time of it. As near as I can tell Lloyd has refused Chemo, and properly so, I think. He has 3rd or 4th stage cancer of the bladder
and 4 cancers in his lungs. Both Lloyd and I think that chemo would be both useless and very debilitating. My understanding is he is
refusing water. He does have the palliative of ice chips to freshen his mouth and throat. As you know, this is an accepted way of managing
ones departing
___________.

I have this last year I completely refurbished, including the power supply, and a new laser tube, Lloyd's Spectra-Physics Model 124 HeNe Laser.
This laser operates at 633 nm. It is producing 25 mW. I repaired the laser, gratis, for Lloyd so he could move ahead with his holographic efforts.
As it is my manner I did a first rate repair on this laser. Lloyd was diagnosed with cancer about the time I returned the laser to him. Therefore, it has
little if any time on it since I have returned it to him.

I think it no release of a closely held family secret to say that Lloyd and Cecil are drained of cash because of Lloyd's medical problems. For any
who have a need for a high power HeNe laser for holography or other purpose, I confidently recommend you will be satisfied with the purchase
of this laser. I will personally warrant the laser, FOB Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, to perform as new from Spectra-Physics for one year from the
date of shipment to you. The laser is at Point Huneme in California. As I am not there to pack it I have asked Cecil to deliver it to a UPS Store to
have it Professionally packaged for shipment within the USA or internationally. The costs of packaging, insurance and transport will be prepaid
and added to the price of the laser. Your check should be made payable directly to Cecil Cross at the address I will provide.

I have recommended to Cecil that she price the laser at $2,000. The price, new, of a 22.5 mW laser listed in Edmund Optics is ~$3,650. You can
save ~$1,600 and have, in my opinion, a better laser. .

If you have questions I will pleased to answer you at; eldonlaser(at)aol(dot)com

Thank you,

Don Gillespie
admin_jsfisher
Site Admin

Re: Lloyd Cross

Post by admin_jsfisher »

I've added a post in the For Sale area pointing to this thread.
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

Thanks
142laser

Post by 142laser »

Hi Don and Joe,
This is indeed a sad post and whoever buys the laser will buy a piece of history both from the former owner and from the man who refurbished it. Best wishes to all, Phil
kyodai

Post by kyodai »

So sad to hear this, my blessings for Lloyd. I think he is one of the very few holographers to have a wikipedia article and loads of media coverage to his name. I'd have loved to meet him in person one day, just goes to remind me how short life is. My wishes, blessings and prayers go to him, i really hope he will not suffer and be close to those who love him in his final moments.
142laser

Post by 142laser »

The money issues make this story even sadder. Maybe we can all sell something (to each other) and send the money to the family? That is a good use for the For Sale section here right? I am in....Phil
Din

Post by Din »

142laser wrote:The money issues make this story even sadder. Maybe we can all sell something (to each other) and send the money to the family? That is a good use for the For Sale section here right? I am in....Phil
Yes. I'd like to be in too. But all I have is old dcg's on coasters and clocks. I'm a little busy now so I can't take on any new commissions. If anyone does want a holographic coaster, or just a 4x5 dcg, I'll pass on the profits. That is, I'll take whatever it needs to cover shipping and pass the rest on.
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

Hi Joe:
Cecil, Lloyd's wife, has asked me to forward Lloyd's obituary to the Holoforum. Please forward this notice to whomever is
the proper person to have this put before the forum.

Thanks, Joe

Don

Don Gillespie

Lloyd Gerald Cross, world-renowned physicist and holographer, died peacefully at his home in Point Arena, California on April 28, 2015 at the age of eighty.
Lloyd was born in Flint, Michigan to a working class family of autoworkers and his life reflected in many ways the development of American society in the late 20th century. The first of his family to attend college, he became at a young age a leading member of teams designing and implementing innovative technology as a part of the Science push of the 1960s. His work with lasers led him to co-found Trion Instruments, one of the first companies commercially producing lasers for research and commercial use in the world. He was an early pioneer of laser light show technologies, claiming the world’s first laser light show performance in New York in the late sixties.
However, rather than amass a fortune like latter-day entrepreneurs, Lloyd rejected the simplistic use of technology for military and purely commercial activities. Working with artists during the heyday of the counter-culture movement, he turned away from business to develop economically viable ways to use the new technologies that would be accessible to everyone.
For example, in a period in which making holograms required massive steel beds for stability, both incredibly expensive and cumbersome to use, he co-developed a simple “sand box” design that floated a large wooden box filled with sand over inner tubes, creating a platform that was both economical and versatile. His designs, which he freely shared, allowed him to set up the School of Holography in San Francisco and helped a whole generation of scientists and artists to immerse themselves in this new medium.
Lloyd also invented the technique of creating “multiplex” holograms that made moving three-dimensional images from movie reels, a technique used in the science fiction movie Logan’s Run.
Continuing with the counter culture theme, Lloyd developed a number of innovative ways in which to harness solar power using inexpensive materials and tools. For example, he developed a powerful solar power concentrator using pine boards, paste, a kitchen roller, 6 inch nails, and aluminum foil that could turn water running through a pipe into steam within seconds. Another device using curved Plexiglas mirrors could focus solar power into a point capable of melting copper.
In 1980, Lloyd moved to Point Arena, California, where he continued his innovative work, and where he became a beloved and respected member of the community. He is survived by his loving wife Cecil, children Lloyd, Elizabeth, John and Jennifer, grandson John Cuauhtemoc, great-granddaughters Xochitl and Elena, sister Arlene, and numerous friends and colleagues. Lloyd will always be remembered by those whose lives he touched for a mind that constantly brimmed, right up to his last days, with scientific, social, artistic, domestic and comedic creativity.
A celebration of Lloyd’s life will be held at his home at 38991 Eureka Hill Road, Point Arena on Monday September 7, 2015 from 3pm to 7pm. All are welcome to attend.
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (759.55 KiB) Viewed 14469 times
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I am very sorry to hear this news. I was never able to meet Lloyd but I have admired the legacy he left for amateur holographers.
Llewllyn

Post by Llewllyn »

Hello,

My name is David Bearden, though I was born David Eugene Llewllyn Cross. I am Lloyd’s son from his marriage to Lynda Bearden. I would love to get in touch with any family members. I have no real memory of Lloyd other than pictures, fond memories shared by mother, and what I have read on the internet. I thank you in advance.
Mahalo,
David