4 Lasers to build a 3D Hologram

Starting point for beginners questions.
metalstar

Post by metalstar »

Hello everyone.
I do not have any idea on holograms, but I'm working on a project that requires some theoretical knowledge about it and I'd really appreciate some help.

I'm using 4 lasers, one on each side, to produce a 3D hologram.
Can you tell me the different possibilities, loopholes and problems involved by using this method and if possible.

Thank you.
kaveh1000

Post by kaveh1000 »

I suspect you are not really making a hologram, metalstar. How are you using 4 lasers one on each side?
metalstar

Post by metalstar »

What do you mean by how, kaveh1000? Like the equipment, method, or something else?

The thing is, I'm not supposed to place any lasers about or below, in this scenario. So, the only way left is place around it, I think.
Holomark

Post by Holomark »

metalstar,
Are you asking how to make a hologram with 4 lasers?
Do you have something already set up?
or are you asking how you could "make a hologram" using 4 lasers?
Are you thinking of using the 4 lasers to make (replay) a hologram from digital data unput?
Are you trying to project images in space?

I think we need some additional information about what you are trying to do and what you already have in place to better answer your question(s).

Mark
metalstar

Post by metalstar »

Sorry, I think I've gone off on a wrong subject.
I've been explained about my thoughts on the subject.
Yes, holomark, I'm planning to project a hologram or 3D image [video] in space without a film, using digital input and in such a way that it covers up or is projected over other objects. Can this be done under white light?
Tyler20002015

Re: 4 Lasers to build a 3D Hologram

Post by Tyler20002015 »

metalstar,

I know this is an old thread, but since you didn't get an answer here, I thought I would try. A hologram projected in midair is not possible. That technology is only in the movies. Real holograms are 3D images on a flat surface.
Din

Re: 4 Lasers to build a 3D Hologram

Post by Din »

I suspect that using words like "project" and "make a hologram with four lasers" is what's confusing the holographers here.

You can "project" a hologram, insofar as the image is "projected" in space through the hologram. Depending on the distance you want the projected image to be, you can make a white light hologram that will project about an inch or so. If you use a led, you can project it even further, maybe 3 or 4 inches. You can make a laser illuminated hologram (called an "H1") that can be illuminated by laser and project about a foot or so. In every case, you need to illuminate the hologram itself in order to generate the image. In other words, you shine a light onto, or from behind, the hologram, white, led or laser, and the hologram will create the image (some people call the image a "hologram", while others call the medium the "hologram" and the image is a separate entity, this is basically a personal choice).

As for the four lasers, there is a way to make a hologram with four lasers. It's a technique called 4-wave mixing. It's rather technical and is mainly used for technical purposes like optical switching of data streams in an internet-type system. No one has, to my knowledge, used 4-wave mixing to make a display hologram, but it can be done. Something similar was/is being done at MIT and is called "HoloVideo" by the MIT researchers ( http://www.media.mit.edu/spi/holoVideoAll.htm ) . Except, instead of using 4-wave mixing, they're using pressure waves as two of "the lasers", at least, they were when I saw a demo of it, but that was a long time ago. They're probably using a different real-time system today.

If you make a laser illuminated hologram with any laser, any other laser may be used to illuminate the hologram and you'll get a projected image. However, if you use a laser of one wavelength , say red, and illuminate the finished hologram with another wavelength, say green, then the image will distort (this is known as aberration).