Is Anyone Selling Optics For My First Holographic Table

Starting point for beginners questions.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

indigital wrote:is it o.k. that it has an anti-reflection or multiple coatings though?
Yes, that's fine.
indigital wrote:I wish spherical mirrors weren't so expensive but I have a decent budget to get an amateur table going.
You might try telescope mirror makers. Usually, these are a lot cheaper and hobbyist/amateur astronomers sometimes grind their own and sell them. Some of them have a hole in the middle, so you need to be careful to get one without a hole in the middle.
indigital

Post by indigital »

indigital wrote:You might try telescope mirror makers. Usually, these are a lot cheaper and hobbyist/amateur astronomers sometimes grind their own and sell them.
Ok, cool! One other question, does anyone have any experience with fuji film? I found an auction for a 10 pack of 4x5" fuji holography film for $28 and I was assured that they are easy to use and cheap relative to the quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fuji-holography-fi ... _623wt_883
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

oh yes fuji is going to be plenty good for you to start with .......here is my latest done with Fuji...
Attachments
Virus 2010 onestep rainbow done w/fuji film, D-19 developer and pychrome bleach. made by D Battin
Virus 2010 onestep rainbow done w/fuji film, D-19 developer and pychrome bleach. made by D Battin
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

I've found that Fuji is pretty easy to use. One thing with Fuji I've noticed is that Slavich and BB turn dark linearly. That is, they begin to go as soon as they hit the developer and continue turning dark. But with Fuji, it remains light for a while, then suddenly starts going. This could be a bit deceptive, the first time I saw this, I assumed I'd under-developed and was about to throw the film away when it suddenly started developing (I'm using CWC2). I don't know anyone else reporting this, so it may be some oddity with my lab, humidity or temp or some such effect.
indigital

Post by indigital »

Done and Done. My beamsplitter, lenses and film should be coming in the mail soon. I will post how my first attempt at creating a hologram (alone) goes. Thanks to everyone here for the advice on materials and to holokidd at ebay too!
indigital

Post by indigital »

By the way, that is a very interesting hologram holomaker, I'm going to assume the process to get the green color is beyond my capabilities at this point but how did you create those bold organic lines? Maybe I'm naive and don't quite understand the effortless scope and possibilities of holography but it would be a very interesting discussion, or even a book, to learn the techniques for creating very interesting effects in holography that really takes the art beyond holograms of ornaments from grandmas china cabinet... Maybe once I get the hang of this and can comprehend more of the general technique I will have to sift through the forums for explanations of holograms with interesting effects. Its a great piece and very inspiring anyways...
jsfisher

Post by jsfisher »

A hint when dealing with Anchor Optics:

Always buy at two. You get a 30% or so discount, so the second is at better than half off. Plus you will find out later your really needed two, anyway.
World's worst holographer
holorefugee

Post by holorefugee »

indigital wrote:By the way, that is a very interesting hologram holomaker
You can do this in silver by making a double exposure and using TEA for one of them. When you have made a few holograms ask again and we will help you.
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

Hi Brandon, what size is your film holder? ill send you a glass plate to carry your film while you are doing test shots, i just need to know the size your holder will accept(i suggest 5x6 plate holder to start). im sending you some small double sided laminate adhesitive, by applying this to your glass plate then removing the cover, will expose a sticky/clear surface to attach you small (1"x1.5") test film to, after exposing, zip your film off the glass and process, you may repeat this many times using the same sticky surface, once you are satisfied with the test film, THEN use a 4x5 piece of film index matched using mineral spirits and taped on the edges, wipe it clean and expose your final hologram , remove wash in water to remove thinner and process as before. by doing it this way you won’t be throwing all you film into the trash bin :lol:

no postal is moving untill monday... you package of goodies will ship asap!!
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

Dinesh wrote:I've found that Fuji is pretty easy to use. One thing with Fuji I've noticed is that Slavich and BB turn dark linearly. That is, they begin to go as soon as they hit the developer and continue turning dark. But with Fuji, it remains light for a while, then suddenly starts going. This could be a bit deceptive, the first time I saw this, I assumed I'd under-developed and was about to throw the film away when it suddenly started developing (I'm using CWC2). I don't know anyone else reporting this, so it may be some oddity with my lab, humidity or temp or some such effect.

hello dinesh (its me dave battin trying to be a lurker), my fuji developing process acts very similar to yours where it remains clear then jumps into darkening mode. i have found the Fuji likes to be overexposed and slightly under developed (never gone 2 minuets in developing bath)........