Source of AgX plates

Silverhalide Emulsions / Chemistry.
Martin

Source of AgX plates

Post by Martin »

Ed Wesly wrote:It was interesting to hear that you used a photo paper developer on the holo plates. Could you give us some details?
We mainly used Agfa's Neutol NE, that's to say, the "normal" one, not the one to produce warm tones. It comes as a 10x liquid concentrate. I believe after Agfa's bankruptcy some smaller company did buy the license for that developer. So it has become available again.

A while ago, on some photo website I picked up the formula of the 10x concentrate:

potassium sulfite.........312g
potassium hydroxide......15g
potassium carbonate.....90g
hydroquinone................45g
phenidone....................1.5g
EDTA..............................8g
potassium bromide........10g
water..............................1L

I assume the "EDTA" actually should read Na4EDTA. It can be skipped when using deionized water.

For PFG-03 film I used 1L Neutol working solution + 5-10g boric acid.
I have used Kodak Dektol, a paper developer on Agfa 8E75HD plates, however instead of the recommended 2 parts water to one part of developer to make a working strength solution, I used two parts developer and one part water, because when you compare the formula of Kodak D-19 to the closest published formula to Dektol, Kodak's D-72, this dilution brings the concentration of metol and hydroquinone to the same strength as D-19! There is a bit more sulfite in the paper developer, about the same on the alkali, sodium carbonate, but it worked pretty much the same as D-19.
Interesting. That brings up a lot of memories. We systematically tested all the Kodak, Agfa and Ilford products available in the early 1980s. Regarding Kodak we went through from D-8 to D-82. We were surprised to learn that paper developers seemed to perform better than all the fine grain developers.
Johnfp

Source of AgX plates

Post by Johnfp »

Wow, missed this post and it was only 2 down. Duh.
Johnfp

Source of AgX plates

Post by Johnfp »

I am leaning toward the BB 520 plates as I used them before and they worked quite well.

http://www.holograms3d.com/Transmission ... bjVirt.jpg

This is the transmission master offset in the plateholder to judge brighness of real cards and hologram. The same. Made with BB 520 plates. I believe I presensitized with just water even though it seems now they recommend additives to the water for presensitizing. Graininess in photo is from digital camera.

Sure would like to have some more input on film for Trans Masters and Reflection copies for 532nm.
dannybee

Source of AgX plates

Post by dannybee »

Johnfp wrote:I am leaning toward the BB 520 plates as I used them before and they worked quite well.

http://www.holograms3d.com/Transmission ... bjVirt.jpg

This is the transmission master offset in the plateholder to judge brighness of real cards and hologram. The same. Made with BB 520 plates. I believe I presensitized with just water even though it seems now they recommend additives to the water for presensitizing. Graininess in photo is from digital camera.

Sure would like to have some more input on film for Trans Masters and Reflection copies for 532nm.
use tea and then wash the tea out.t will bring up the levels of silver specks and not shift the exposer, water will work but tea will work better....wash the tea out and dry before exposer
Johnfp

Source of AgX plates

Post by Johnfp »

I wrote Vinteq for some information on obtaining some BB 520 plates and they have not gotten back to me. Furthermore, their site has a broken link for the catalog link.

Does anyone know where to obtain BB 520 plates?
dannybee

Source of AgX plates

Post by dannybee »

Johnfp wrote:I wrote Vinteq for some information on obtaining some BB 520 plates and they have not gotten back to me. Furthermore, their site has a broken link for the catalog link.

Does anyone know where to obtain BB 520 plates?
http://www.vinteq.com/gen-bb.htm
Johnfp

Source of AgX plates

Post by Johnfp »

Thanks, but I meant other then Vinteq.
dannybee

Source of AgX plates

Post by dannybee »

Johnfp wrote:Thanks, but I meant other then Vinteq.
:oops: http://www.colourholographic.com/hologr ... range.html
Johnfp

Source of AgX plates

Post by Johnfp »

Thanks, may shoot them an e-mail but they are in London. I was hoping to find a distributor here in the US. I do love their plates and it seems Tom is making some nice holograms with their plates too.

Is Tom the only one using their plates?
Ed Wesly

Source of AgX plates

Post by Ed Wesly »

I'm still using up what I have left of their plates and then who knows what will happen. Right now my plates of choice (once I figured out how to use them!) are GEO-3 from Geola, since I have been successful in getting them directly from Lithuania. Would be nice to have a distributor in the states with a stock on hand!

Harman plates were announced to be available from selected camera stores, but I can't really get excited over warmed over Agfa product, like Fuji was and Slavich PFG-01 is.
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols