are these things we're not supposed to have outside of zoned lab
space? Just wondering. And, are there any brick and mortar sources
of the dichromates and 99% isopropyl? I'd rather go pick them up
than get them in the mail.
Jem

How to buy chemicals

Post by Jem »

Hi Baja

Don't know whereabouts in the world you are, but 'Silverprint' in the UK have the Dichromates that you're after.

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/index.asp

If your located elsewhere you can try this link, it may point you to a supplier in your area.

http://www.hyperdeath.co.uk/chemicals/organic.php

Hope this helps.

Jem
Dinesh

How to buy chemicals

Post by Dinesh »

baja wrote:it made me
wonder if its really ok to order these things for a home lab. I mean,
space?
There are the MSDS documents - Material Safety Data Sheets. These are documents that state all the dangers that any given substance has Here in the US, it's a requirement that any industrial or commercial facility using chemicals have to have the MSDS clearly marked and accessible. Anyway, here's the MSDS for Potassium and Ammonium Dichromate:
http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/a5760.htm
http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/p5719.htm

As you can see, they're both carcinogens and fairly corrosive. So, if there are kids with access to your home lab, you may want to be a bit careful. On the other hand, so long as you don't stir the dichromate solution with your hands and then eat pizza, you're probably OK. I've been dealing with the stuff for nigh on these twenty five years and I'm...well, we'll let that pass...
Jeffrey Weil

How to buy chemicals

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

In most big cities there will be a chemical supply place. Usually very unmarked as they are mail order and internet places.

I have one here in Miami, its behind a totally unmarked door on a very plain warehouse. I have to call in advance to have the order put together.

Check around, you probably have a local place that just doesn't specialize in counter sales.

Jeff Weil
holorefugee

How to buy chemicals

Post by holorefugee »

baja wrote:it made me
wonder if its really ok to order these things for a home lab. I mean,
space?
Dichromates are quite poisonous. Don't breathe the dust and wear gloves when handling the liquids. Also, it is best to evaporate the water from the solutions and dispose of the solid waste. It is not good to put the solutions in the drain.
erose

How to buy chemicals

Post by erose »

I found making my own developers and bleaches much less expensive. In NYC I was able to go to several supply houses and buy what I needed. But I did have some discomfort with keeping things like concentrated Sulfuric acid in my NY apartment. As I am getting back into holography I intend to invest in a fire-safe storage cabinet. I also will be setting up a fume hood over the processing station. I had one incident with the S-acid when a paper towel with but a tiny drop on it decided to combust. So there are various hazards beyond the issues of toxicity. Just follow all safety measures and you should be fine.
Jeffrey Weil

How to buy chemicals

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

I agree, keeping those concentrated acids around is dangerous. You have options though.

For sulfuric try the auto parts store. For battery's they sell 30% acid in distilled water. Perfect for us. We always use less than that percentage. Still nasty but not even close to the pure stuff and it's a lot cheaper. Plus at that concentration it can be stored and sold in plastic containers.

I don't think it'll start a fire either.

Jeffrey Weil
NorthBeach Holography Inc.
holorefugee

How to buy chemicals

Post by holorefugee »

Dinesh

How to buy chemicals

Post by Dinesh »

Be sure everything is properly labelled. Conc. Sulphuric acid goes brown after a while and you want to be sure you don't think it's beer and take a swig out of it (Yes, this did happen to me! Yes, it does explain lot!)