Quality of DIY diffusion plates?

Silverhalide Emulsions / Chemistry.
djm

Post by djm »

What quality can be expected from Blyth´s diffusion method DIY plates compared to the available commercial emulsions regarding efficiency, contrast, scatter and speed? What are the critical steps to get good emulsion and plates?
kyodai

Post by kyodai »

I don't have any practical experience yet, but reading one of Blyths older articles he was kinda drooling over the very fine grain size, he even measured it with electron microscopes.

http://holographer.org/smart-holograms/

I think if your plates are comparable to commercially available ones heavily depends on how clean and professional you work. Obviously it also depends on the quality of the materials, i.e. their purity.
Maybe your first ones won't be as high quality as the commercial ones.

The guys making the "commercial" plates sure do have much experience after making thousands of these so you prolly won't surpass their quality on first try. If you think about it the commercial plates are also "DIY" plates, just by people doing this all day long. I doubt there is any "holographic plate processing plant" (Well i guess kodak had something similar, but...) as demand and sensitivity of materials probably would not justify that and the critical processes in manufacturing these sure don't live and die if some 50 Dollar or 1000 Dollar thermometer is used or so - so this is probably one of the few DIY areas where you can get close to "commercial" material just with experience.