Introductions - Everyone please chime in!

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

hello holodisc , nice to read you on the forum again !
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Hello all holographers...

My name is Scott and I live in the upstate of South Carolina. I was introduced to holography probably about 25 years ago when I saw some of the more famous holograms on display in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. My family goes up there quite often and we just happened to stop in one of the tourists shops and I just couldn't believe my eyes when I spotted them.

Since that time I have read a lot about holograms and how they are made, but I haven't made one yet. I have just recently got interested again and I am in the middle of building my holography setup in a spare bedroom. I am giving Frank DeFreitas credit for sparking my interest again by his research into laser diode holography. The costs of HeNe's is what drove me away in the first place. Now it looks like the costs has lowered quite a bit with these new modules.

I am having a blast trying to soak in all of the information here in this forum and it is nice to see that there are plenty of people here that are willing to help out us newbies :wink:
fkienast

Post by fkienast »

My name is Frank, and I live in upstate NY. I have a degree in Systems Engineering and have worked for almost 20 years as a computer systems analyst and as a consultant. I first heard of holography from an Edmund Scientific catalog when I was a kid back in the 70's. I remember reading at the time that a hologram of a lens actually produces not a picture of the lens, but another lens. I quoted this to various people, including my father, and they thought it was a joke. My father even asked humorously "so then, if I take a holograph of a cat, do I get another cat instead of a picture of a cat?".

After I graduated from college most of my hobies had to do with electronics, microcontrollers, computer hardware and amateur radio.

With the advent of internet forums for discussing specialized interests in recent years, I have revisited many of the areas I was interested in when I was younger in recent years. I am sort of a geek so I tend to be interested in how things work more so than necessarily using them once I figure them out. For example, I found a copy of a chemistry book that was published in the 1800's, and was able to make my own photographic film using silver nitrate, sodium bromide, and regular clear jello. I tend to stay interested in an area, such as electronics or amateur radio or chemistry or microcontrollers for a few years at a time. After that, I find I have done most of the stuff that can be done easily and relatively cheaply. I then tend to go on to other areas of interest for a few years until there have been enough advances in technology to make the old areas interesting again. I stumbled across holography while learning more about old photographic processes.

I am curious to learn more about making holograms. My guess is that I will end up creating a basic setup and making a few holograms myself. I am likely to stay interested at least long enough to get that far. Vibration may be a serious issue for me since I presenetly live on the 3rd floor of an apartment.

I would like to thank those responsible for running this forum. I have enjoyed reading the archived posts on this forum in recent days, and look forward to possibly participating more actively as I get more involved with holography.

Frank
BobH

Post by BobH »

Welcome! Being in a third floor apartment only affects the design of the systems you build to prepare the materials, record the image, and process the hologram. It shouldn't affect your ability to get great results.

I've recently set up an interferometer on a 1/2" thick piece of aluminum resting on a small, flimsey wood table, on a rug/carpet/wood floor in front of the sofa. The fringes were absolutely stable enough to make a hologram, if my foot wasn't near the leg of the table. If it was, I could see my heartbeat moving the fringes.
DJ Mathson

Post by DJ Mathson »

:-)
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Holodisc wrote:I always apply holography in my development work, it is the single most advanced technology mankind presently has as a tool.

Next year, I may return to some artistic expressions in 'optical' holography? Art has been lucrative, as well as aesthetically satisfying.
Wow! I missed this! Welcome back HoloDisk.
Ero-Tino-Taro-Kun-Sama

Post by Ero-Tino-Taro-Kun-Sama »

Hello Denish,
Thanks for your answer...I'm sorry didn't reply earlier.
For acoustical holography, I just need a way to create the waves representing an hologram electronically.
By HOE I meant Holographic Optical Elements.
I think I'll contact you by e-mail later on.
Peace
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

[quote:a976b1deeb="Ero-Tino-Taro-Kun-Sama"]Hello Denish,
Thanks for your answer...I'm sorry didn't reply earlier.
For acoustical holography, I just need a way to create the waves representing an hologram electronically.
By HOE I meant Holographic Optical Elements.
I think I'll contact you by e-mail later on.
Peace[/quote:a976b1deeb]
I got it. I'll put together a package of papers on acoustic holography and send them.
dark_reaper

Post by dark_reaper »

Hi, i am new to Holography, I have a 15 mW HeNe Laser, I still need to get a few optics and construct an optic bench, or just find an old table and rig up the feet of the legs fo eliminate the vibrations.

I am currently a student Cinematographer working on shorts and indipendent films. Most cases I do lighting of sets and operate a camera. But I have decided to go back into Holography, and study lasers. I also hope to build my own lasers in the near future.

I have made my first and only two holograms back in Junior High, now six years later, I am trying to get back into Holography. Trying to find some decent equipment now. I still have my holoplates, but I hope they are still good, because they are six years old, I need to clean some optics and get some new ones.

But I hope in the near future I can get into full color Holography, and use some of my work in films. It is nice to finally meet some fellow Holographers.
edelbrp

Post by edelbrp »

dark_reaper wrote:Hi, i am new to Holography, I have a 15 mW HeNe Laser...
You're entering a very exciting time! Enjoy it and don't get frustrated with the challenges along the way.

-Phil