Ebay Holograms

Topics not fitting anywhere else.
Tony

Ebay Holograms

Post by Tony »

Once in a while I look on ebay for holograms and for months I've been seeing these ones from Russia. The subject matter (art) and the presentation leaves even me, a lover of good holograms, some what nauseated by the look of them. I don't know if it is the color, subject matter or the photo?

Has any one bought one of these?
If so how are they?
Do you think this is a good way for these guys to sell them the way they are? I guess having them based in Russia limits there ability to market their goods.

Oh and by the way, if any of you bidded on that $10,000 DCG hologram, I bought it:twisted: :mrgreen:
Sorry don't mean to be cheeky but it's a three day weekend coming up :)
al_gont

Ebay Holograms

Post by al_gont »

Hello, Tony.

I welcome constructive criticism. So, what exactly makes you feel nauseated?

With best regards,
Alexey Gontar
Tony

Ebay Holograms

Post by Tony »

Hello Alexey

I appreciate your gracious response and wiliness to except criticism. I think if anyone called my work nauseating I might not have been as kind as you. Also, I have never produced anything as technically well so my criticism should be taken as such and only know that this is my opinion. That being said, I have bought perhaps 10 holograms on eBay over the years and do not feel compelled to buy one of yours at this time (with perhaps the exception of 2, the Venus and the glass balls but even those I am on the fence). This is why I wanted to know if anyone else did buy one to see if perhaps it is the presentation (photograph) rather than the content.

I think that is why I brought it up in the forum. Technically they seem to be excellent. I am not sure why they do not appeal to me. Perhaps I am not a fan of mono color holograms especially green. I think the subject matter also does not help. Animals frozen in action looks more like a taxidermy piece and the human figures seems lifeless (although the young girl seems nice). Perhaps the image on eBay does not deplict how well they look. Nauseating is a strong word but part of it is wanting to like it but cannot.

Over the years I have bought two Larry Lieberman's holograms. Some perhaps early Richard Rallison (hey look Ed I spelt it right:) some photopolymer holograms some DCG holograms and my prized possession, my August Muth holograms. Larry's holograms are truly interesting to look at, they are abstact and colorful. Of coase DCG is great because they are so bright. Photopolymer holograms are also bright but also cheap.

I apoligize for my overvet criticism. I wonder now if I would have stated this way if you were in front of me (especailly if you big and burly :D . As a rule I normally do not post any differently than if I were talking to someone directly.
If there is any thoughts you have on your experince in selling holograms I am sure there are those who might benefit.
Good Luck
Tony
holomaker

Ebay Holograms

Post by holomaker »

hi guys, i know what Tony means......... Alex your holograms are fantastic in the mechanical sense, but in the asthetic sense seems to be lacking a bit. Dont get me wrong the holograms are excelent quality, but its the subject matter.... i guess that is why i like to do abstract color mixes in my holograms, if i made a holograms of real thing the color would not be real. on the other hand if it was a thought comming as a dream from a persons head, i would/could accept this no matter the color. I guess my question to alex is why not and an double exposuer and/or multicolor to make your holograms more like art and less like "still life" in the wrong color? an image in multi colors in my mind would be more "artful" and be worth more in value ?
al_gont

Ebay Holograms

Post by al_gont »

Tony wrote: I think if anyone called my work nauseating I might not have been as kind as you.
Frankly speaking, composing my answer to your first post took a long time, the final version was quite different than the first one ;)

Well, I must explain to make it clear. Almost all holograms that I make and sell now were recorded years ago. Many master holograms were recorded by Sergey Vorobyov (holography.ru) and I got them when he sold his stidio to me some months before he died. Besides, I hold some old master-holograms from NIKFI holographic studio that no longer exists.
I think we are talking about two different approaches to holography. Both of them have a right to exist. The first is considering a hologram to be a piece of art - some kind of artistic vision, fixed with the help of holographic technics. Such holograms are unique and are targeted to a narrow audience. The second is considering hologram to be just a kind of a souvenir to be presented to a friend or put on the desk. No deep idea or complex subject needed, just a simple plot like cat or flower. Such holograms can be mass-produced and they really are in demand.
To be honest, sometimes I can't understand why people choose this or that hologram to buy. So, I periodically get convinced in the correctness of the assertion that tastes differ.
holomaker

Ebay Holograms

Post by holomaker »

No doubt holography has a narrow market no matter what the subject is !

what im getting at is for example the large Water splashing on the hands hologram, you will sell this for approx $120 US, the film plate cost must be close to $75. It hardly seems worh it to do this for $50 profit ?

thanks Dave Battin
Dinesh

Ebay Holograms

Post by Dinesh »

holomaker wrote: you will sell this for approx $120 US, the film plate cost must be close to $75. It hardly seems worh it to do this for $50 profit ?
You're not far wrong! I notice dcg holograms for sale at thousands of dollars, but I can't sell a single one! Usually I just give them away! It seems to involve excess marketing and a lot of bravado. There's also an "expert" syndrome at play. Tony mentions some of the "experts" whose holograms he prizes. I'd venture to say we here can make dcg holograms as good or better than any of the experts, yet we're completely unknown! No one mentions owing a Dinesh hologram.

The technique I developed in 1986 for pseudo-colour in dcg holography has never been published or used until Dave Battin asked me for my technique some years back. Yet, still no one makes pseudo colour holograms in dcg except Dave. Again, no one seems to associate me with dcg holograms, colour or otherwise.

Mind you, I'm not complaining. I dislike being in the spotlight and stay as far away as possible. But, I suppose I'm seen in some abstract professorial sense, which means that even giving away holograms has no effect. No one seems to know that I actually make (OK, used to make) quite a large number of dcg holograms. Basically, if you're a "name", you can command hu-u-uge prices for holograms of, apparently, nebulous worth. If you're not a "name", then you can produce holograms, dcg or otherwise, of superb technical quality with stunning colours and no one will care! So, unless you're a "name" or an "expert", the profit is simply not worth it. All the knowledge gained from 25 years of dcg holography is really meaningless. You need to be the kind of personality that seeks the adulation of crowds, and, if you're not that kind of personality, your hologram are basically worthless.

By the way, I'm always surprised that people will pay several millions for a picture of cows grazing by a riverside, if it's called a "Turner", but no one will pay a farthing for a picture of cows grazing by the riverside form Joseph Prendergast (Jr.) (I hope there's not an actual artist called this!), even if it's not possible to tell the two apaprt in a blind test by the very people who pay hu-u-uge sums for a "Turner". I suppose a similar trend occurs in holography; which is why I always say, "Quantum Mechanics and Relativity is easy to understand. Art and artists....these are strange phenomena!"
Tony

Ebay Holograms

Post by Tony »

al_gont wrote:Frankly speaking, composing my answer to your first post took a long time, the final version was quite different than the first one
Thank you for tempering your post, perhaps the harsher one was more deserved. ;)

If you say that people are buying these holograms then that is fine by me. Then it is my personal taste verses others. People's wallets speak volumes, they can say they like a holograms all day long but if they are willing to buy it, then it must have resonated with them.

I do respect and appreciate you explaining your postion in a gentlemanly manner. I learned something today.

Tony
Tony

Ebay Holograms

Post by Tony »

Dinesh wrote:No one mentions owing a Dinesh hologram.
I proudly own a Dinesh Hologram :)

Dinesh, I was referring to holograms I bought on eBay (hence the title) No one here, least of all me, would ever say your DCG holograms are anything less than stellar. Nor would I diminish your contribrution to helping many beginners such as myself. If I ever saw you DCG of the two geckos, no doubt I would have bid on it ;)

I cannot comment about how the business of art and holograms work but it is a shame it is not better appreciated.

I took this quiz once http://www.your3dsource.com/match-the-a ... nting.html and http://abcnews.go.com/2020/popup?id=528252. I failed them easily.
al_gont

Ebay Holograms

Post by al_gont »

holomaker wrote:you will sell this for approx $120 US, the film plate cost must be close to $75. It hardly seems worh it to do this for $50 profit ?
Not quite right. Slavich's prices for inner market are less than for foreign one. So, the calculation is different.
But still, I try to keep affordable prices. I quite agree with Dinesh - it is impossible to sell holograms if they cost too much. I could ask thousands dollars per hologram and till now wait for someone who would buy anything.