Slavich Silver Plates

Silverhalide Emulsions / Chemistry.
Johnfp

Slavich Silver Plates

Post by Johnfp »

What seems to be the issue with Slavich Plates?

I only tried the PFG-03m a couple times and could not get a decent SBR hologram.

Seems impossible to get any other plates and I need something to play with.

Should I get PFG-01 for 2 beam master transmission and 2 beam reflection or go with the PFG-03M.
Johnfp

Slavich Silver Plates

Post by Johnfp »

Well, I did order some PFG01 from Integraf last friday. They should be here Monday. Dang, they coming from Washington State. I'm in Maryland.
Ed Wesly

Slavich Silver Plates

Post by Ed Wesly »

That PFG-03M is tricky stuff. The best results I ever got with it were either using the colloidal developer GP-2 for 15 minutes, (see this: http://nlutie.com/ewesly/HoloConsRepG.htm) or the cold water processing mentioned here. http://nlutie.com/ewesly/HnEPortfolio/ColdJD4.html

They used to come in plastic boxes, now they are wrapped in some black and red paper that smells bad. I don’t know if that’s what is making the emulsions fog, which might be one of your problems. I have also heard that just the oxygen in the air exposes the super fined grain crystals.

Follow Jeff’s advice on the old Forum Wiki about “erasing” the plates. But it’s a tricky emulsion, and once I have used up what I have I am never ordering that junk again! It’s GEO-3 for me.

If you are satisfied with the usual sort of milky results that Agfa 8E75HD delivered, try the new Harman plates. Some camera stores sell them. There is a link on deFrietas’s Forum.

As far as I’m concerned, Agfa 8E75HD, the short-lived Fuji, the old Ilford SP series and the new Harman are about the same; just barely good enough for Single Beam work. I never got a decent SBR on 8E56HD, but the old Ilford Green and the new Harman Green could, but nothing like the Sphere-S.

The Slavich PFG-03M always seemed to have problems to get to work. The Sphere-S GEO-3 took me a while to get under control, but it really is a cut above the above-mentioned group. The trick is in finding the stuff!
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols