interesting link and kit- will it popularize holography?

Starting point for beginners questions.
msxc

Post by msxc »

Hi,

Just stumped upon the webpage-nice blog entry and introduction to holography:
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2011/1 ... raphy.html

BTW: What is that material? (do they skip something about the developing/fixing process?)

msxc
Jem

Post by Jem »

Hi

It's the Litiholo kit. There is no developing with the plates supplied in the new kits, they use a photopolymer which is self developing as it's being exposed. This has the advantage that it's not reaqlly possible to over-expose the plates.

I've made a couple of reasonable holograms using their kit although I do find the exposures required to be pretty long (compared to silver, not DCG). This is of course a problem with anything other than a very stable setup.

I still have a few unexposed plates kicking around, i'll have to revisit this ;)

Cheers

Jem
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

I recently sold 3 lasers to a Harvard physics professer and his class has made some great 2 color (632 and 532 nm) holograms using the Liti films. I think for the class room this stuff sounds great, expose and you are basiclly done! There is an optional bleaching can be done using white light and it can all happen while still in the plate holder!
he sent me a photo let me try and pull it up here ............

The hologram is on the left !
Attachments
2color Liti Holo Harvard 2011
2color Liti Holo Harvard 2011
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
msxc

Post by msxc »

holomaker wrote:I There is an optional bleaching can be done using white light and it can all happen while still in the plate holder!
Nice stuff:) Simplicity is nice since I'm still fighting with milkiness in DCG.
But the Force is with me- I have some progresses after adding the Aluminum Sulphate to fixing solution, but long way to go:D

It would be nice to see the picture.

Greetings,
msxc
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

what color laser are you using to make DCGs?
msxc

Post by msxc »

holomaker wrote:what color laser are you using to make DCGs?
532nm, hacked/tuned in New York :twisted: :lol:

Added:
bought from famous New York(or close from it) holographer, Dave Battin. :lol: :roll:

I'm using own mixture of fixer now (metabisulphate +alum). Fixer without hardening alum (some old Ilford package) didn't work even with harder gelatin (250Bloom), or only when developed with very cold water. It looks like the alum makes huge difference (or maybe some other variable here...). Still optimizing though- not being ready to conclude.

Long Island is to far from Finland, but maybe some day...
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

wow i didnt realise i sold you that unit, come out to the lab (longisland) and ill give you the DCG low down, as the 532nm dcg needs a lot of light ...... are you fixing w/Kodak rapid fix?
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

Im currently trying to perfect blue 460nm to DCG and its totally different animal than 532 nm for sure i find when exposed to this beautiful light to my 2%AMDi film if overexposed it goes totally clear(using only water to develop) ! In light of this (no pun inteneded) i would try to shoot some strong based UV light (post or pre exposuer) to even out the hardness and clear things up ............ see if this helps? :roll:
msxc

Post by msxc »

DCG= lots of tinkering, but why not :D. Now one is forcing us to use it:D
small.png
Some quite sharp inside with milky edges. Anyway progress.

msxc
Arturo

Post by Arturo »

holomaker wrote:I recently sold 3 lasers to a Harvard physics professer and his class has made some great 2 color (632 and 532 nm) holograms using the Liti films. I think for the class room this stuff sounds great, expose and you are basiclly done! There is an optional bleaching can be done using white light and it can all happen while still in the plate holder!
Hi, I thought liti plates were only red sensitive...? How did he do that? No chemistry involved...?