interesting link and kit- will it popularize holography?

Starting point for beginners questions.
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

The attachments below are from Mr. Know-It-All, the final arbiter of etiquette in the magazine of Geek Chic, Wired. Sounds like he might know more about how to act in these circumstances.
WiredPg50 copy.pdf
(115.36 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
WiredPg50copy2.pdf
(37.48 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
WiredPg52copy.pdf
(62.28 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

Ed Wesly wrote:The attachments below are from Mr. Know-It-All, the final arbiter of etiquette in the magazine of Geek Chic, Wired. Sounds like he might know more about how to act in these circumstances.

Jeffrey Weil

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Hey Dave,

That's what happens when you make a post at 1am.....you quoted the last post but forget to add your own text to the message!

I've done that at 1am too, pour one for me :-)

Jeff W
dannybee

Post by dannybee »

No! :D but it gave Paul some money to play with...let hope he delivers to his investors ;)
142laser

Post by 142laser »

I still have no kit; did anyone get one?

If anyone got one what are the lasers like?

Best of luck making these work. Phil
Eleena

Post by Eleena »

Hi Phil,

No I haven't either..he says it takes some time(the shipping).
However I am already disappointing from only reading the commentaries on kickstarter.. early backers received it.And if you read their opinions and results..oh well.Problems such as no instructions provided ('till now at least), plates going 'bad',very dim final results... I saw someone even posted a picture and some videos..
Anyway I'll wait for my kit so I can talk more it..no conclusion 'till now but that it took way too much time(at least to me).
142laser

Post by 142laser »

What concerns me if the notion that they have to test every laser by making a hologram. How about putting the lasers on a spectrum analyzer and making sure they are 1 GHz or less FWHM? making a hologram takes time, wasted plates and only gives a brief confirmation that the laser will work (during the exposure time). Good grief. I admit making a hologram will work but with all that money buy a spectrum analyzer and a couple heads...:) Also the kits are way late now...this is 2013! Phil
Arturo

Post by Arturo »

Hello.

I got my kit more than a week ago (even after some customs delay). Unfortunately I have not yet been able to test it, hopefully I will during the weekend and report here. Really, it saddens me, but I get the feeling that many people here really want this to be a hoax and a failure, and I wonder why. Would't it be great for all if this was a success, would it not be opening market for others?

Anyway, I posted my comments on the original kit in my blog (see my signature). However, from a *very* amateur approach adn experience, let me add some comments here:

- Regarding the kit and its resulting holograms, this is clearly an amateur oriented kit, which means one cannot expect profesional grade holograms - accepted this, the original red laser kit really delivered for me: I got many more holograms than I had ever using silver halide; were they the brightest? by no means, but they were there, something that with Slavich plates did not happen often. I am no expert on emulsions, plates and the like, and I don't know enough about the plates provided to know if their diffraction efficiency would allow very bright holograms, but in any case, note that people reporting in the KS site do not seem to have used any vibration isolation but the mere padding in the plate/object holder provided.

- Regarding the delivery time: the kit does not have instructions included for transmission holograms, but instructions for reflections where promptly emailed even before the kit shipped. Regarding the delay, it is bad, but not awful compared to the mean delay time for other kickstarter projects.

In all, I'd like to see this taken for what it is: a hobbyist kit for fun. Don't expect it to be a professional solution, but do expect it to create/maintain interest in holograms.

Cheers!

Arturo.
142laser

Post by 142laser »

I want the lit to work. I invested to help them make it work. I will be great for schools! Phil
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

You may remember that Joy gave a lecture to Dorkbot ( http://dorkbot.org/dorkbotsocal/ ) last December. The organiser of the event, Thomas Edwards, had also given a class on holography in which he used the Liti Kit. He sent his entire power point presentation, but I've extracted two pictures showing his geometry and his results with Liti. When I was there, he actually praised the Liti film, so it does work. To those who were here a few years back when we tried it here in our labs, I have no idea why we couldn't make it work, but Thomas did. Also, as to Phil's question, the laser used was the one in the kit, but no idea of exposures, modes etc. That is, the laser seems to work, but how well is not known. Anyway, here are his pictures:
Picture1.jpg
Picture2.png