Laser Optics

Starting point for beginners questions.
holomaker

Laser Optics

Post by holomaker »

Yes the coherents on the Coherent 315 is like ten meters so no worry about depth. Ive got some front surface mirrors ive been meaning to list in the "for sale" section. if you can hold on ill post a picture or two tonight in there. I think a good place to start shooting is by doing one beams on a stand alone slab, transmissions, reflections, H1,H2 tranfers (Saxbys book) can all be done on a 18" square(even better is a 36"square) of granite or marble, this wount be wasted, because in two years from now when you get you 4'x 10' table you can use the slab as a optical platform on the table :P

Im still using mine now and i purchased it twenty years+ ago !
Dinesh

Laser Optics

Post by Dinesh »

nomiss wrote:Sorry if I wasn't as clear before. My plan is to purchase a set of 9 8x10 plates and make each individual plate have a single train car on it. Then I plan to display the plates right next to each other so it would be like this. [][][][][][] I would probably use 5-6 plates and hence 5-6 train cars. This way I would be able to display a train over a pieced together hologram that would be 50-60 inches long and eight inches tall.
Oh, I see. OK, then you can shoot each one individually as a single beam Denisyuk and you don't need a large table. You can pretty much use Dave's suggestion of a stone slab about 36 sq in. Be careful to change the reference beam between each shot. Unless you plan to illuminate each hologram with it's own light (not a good idea - you'll get cross talk), if you illuminate all of them with the same light, assumed to be divergent from a point source, then each hologram will see a slightly different angle of the light. If the angles are not right, the cars will distort, so the hologram has to be shot at the same angle as the illuminating light. If you have a single divergent source, the nearest hologram will see a different angle to the furthest one.
nomiss

Laser Optics

Post by nomiss »

Sorry if Ive been asking too many questions. So for this project you guys think it would be best for me to use a 36x36 stone slab as my table? So in theory I should go as thick and big as possible because the more mass the slab has the more resistant it will be to movement? Also as for a base should I use cinder blocks with carpet squares on the bottom hand on top then lets say a 2inch thick 36x36 slab then another layer of carpet. On top of that I would place inner tubes then more carpet and then finally a 36x36 slab thats about 4-6 inches thick. The two inch thick slab would weigh 270lbs and the 4-6 inch slab would weigh between 540 and 810 pounds. Overall, the 36inch table would weigh around 1000lbs. Would that be overkill? As for the 36x36 inch table, would there be enough room for making 8x10 inch holograms with the denisyuk method?
holomaker

Laser Optics

Post by holomaker »

use the thinest material possible, mine are maybe an inch thick. Correct use concrete blocks as table legs, i used PL400 construction adhesitive (calking tube) to glue the blocks together (and to the floor) then connect them with a piece of 36x36x3/4" plywood, now put your tire tubes down w/slab laid on top. An old holographer told me to only isolate once (if possible) ! go to the nearest tile/granite store and be sure to tell him you want the uglyiest piece he has as you will be getting it very cheap!

As far as shooting 8x10s yes you'll have plenty of room on a 36x36, But i would suggest you start off shooting 4x5s for a few shots befor you go any bigger as there will be challenges ahead! :roll:

good luck, where are you from ?
nomiss

Laser Optics

Post by nomiss »

I just talked to my dad and he has some granite table counters lying around that are 1 1/4 thick and 3x5 1/2 feet long. Should I do a sandwich setup with two table tops and tire tubes in-between or a plywood tire tube then tabletop set up? Also do I need a special spatial filter since I'm using a nd:YAG DPSS? as for all the spatial filters on ebay the range from 300-400$. Im looking for something a little cheeper.
holomaker

Laser Optics

Post by holomaker »

One thickeness will be fine, but you will check the tables stability with a interferometer. You dont need a spatial filter yet, a nice concave mirror will do nicely for now...

what holography book are you using ?

Again where do you live as you may have a local holographer that can help you .
nomiss

Laser Optics

Post by nomiss »

I live in Vail, Colorado and I am doing this for a senior project in high school. I am allowed to drop two of my classes in exchange for doing a senior project. This means that I will have anywhere from 14-20 hours a week to work and 10 weeks of work time so i have about 200-250 hrs of time I can put into this project. The reason why I am putting so much money into this is because I am looking for a high quality product (something close to kris meerlo's work). The reason why I am looking for a high quality semi-complex setup to start with is because I don't really have the time to build up my knowledge and setup over a few years. I have a lot of time to troubleshoot so it is ok if i have some problems at first. As for funds, I already have a $1900 laser and I'm willing to spend another 600 on plates and 500 more on other accessories. I already have some 2.4x2.4 plates and developer/bleach. As per regulations of this project I need an outside advisor who has knowledge in this subject. This person would have to either be in the area or attend 2-3 meetings through Skype. Their duties would entail giving advice and eventually grading my work. As for the feasibility of this, I am not sure. Distance would not really be a problem as long as we would be able to communicate through Skype and or a forum similar to this.
holomaker

Laser Optics

Post by holomaker »

wow this could get interesting ! my skype is davebatt1. I have fun at the Laser Teaching Center during the summer, Sam G always makes a visit (see link) !

Nom miss, Apply for a grant and you could make holograms all summer.....

http://laser.physics.sunysb.edu/

Im the new guy at the bottom of the web :twisted:
nomiss

Laser Optics

Post by nomiss »

Thanks Dave,
My real name is Simon. As for my project, I was was given these guidelines I was given these:

The Senior Project has become an essential opportunity – even a cherished tradition – of Vail Mountain School: it constitutes an intense culmination of your college preparatory education. Students who successfully complete a project (in lieu of a normal third term curriculum) will accomplish three lofty objectives: First, they will delve with scholarly vigor into an arena of great personal interest; second, they will of necessity extend their academic habits and skills to attain a new level of independent accomplishment. Lastly, it is asked that they will reflect to their choosing on their scholarly pursuit from the perspective of a global citizen.
Note: A senior on academic probation at the end of the first term and at mid-terms of the second term is not eligible for senior projects.
A Senior Project may take one of three forms, as presented below:
A creative, visual/performing arts project entails significant work with an art form (e.g. painting, music, dance, theater, film). The student generates an extensive portfolio, from which pieces are selected for formal presentation. Each student at the conclusion of their project will need to submit at least eight pages of written work that includes an artist statement and any research. In addition, keeping a journal for reflection as well as for documenting the artistic process is also a requirement of the artist. Journal entries can be used for weekly one page submissions. This form of project necessitates enrollment in a math or science course. The maximum amount of courses dropped may be two. Students applying for creative based projects will be given preference based on their participation with the senior art portfolio or experience within performing arts. Students who are considering a creative project must have a visible and open workspace approved by the department and senior project board. Student’s may choose to add an internship* as a form of primary research to supplement their creative art project and may drop up to one more course. However, instead of a research paper, students will document their experience in a journal, for which the primary adviser will provide the expectations and is turned in weekly to the primary adviser for review. A final five page paper on the internship will be required and it serves as a supplement to the eight page paper mentioned above.

When you refer to Sam G, do you mean Sam from Sam's Laser FAQ? Right now I am mostly looking for an outside advisor. Due to the rarity of holography, it would be acceptable for my outside advisor to attend via Skype.

Outside Adviser- Outside advisers are required to attend the formal advisory board meetings scheduled for February 13-17, and the Q and A sessions beginning May 14-17. They should be someone who possesses experience in the project area the student is completing and can provide insight and direction for the project, as well as assign a grade. Outside advisers should be kept current on the student’s progress on the project from both the primary adviser and advisee. It is highly encouraged for the outside adviser to be within driving distance.

I will be formally starting the project on March 3 but right now I am in the research/ gathering of materials phase.
holorefugee

Laser Optics

Post by holorefugee »

You may find an adviser here:

http://istec.colostate.edu/

They have done some holography work.