"Home Made" holography components

Starting point for beginners questions.
Arturo

Post by Arturo »

Wow! Those look awesome, how I wish I had your skills! (and machines!) :)
holowizard

Post by holowizard »

Actually, these were all made on what are essentially table-top machines; none of the individual parts of any device are very big...the only serious challenge was the upright post on the beam director. It's 8 1/2 inches tall, and my mill only has about 6 inches of X-axis travel, so it had to be moved in the vise and milled out in two steps. I have another one around here somewhere that I had completely black-anodized, and fitted with broadband 99%+R mirrors...I'll have to dig that up and post a pic or two.
As for skill...that's a bit more difficult to define, but the guy I did my apprenticeship under (George Gebby...the "mad Scotsman", as I used to call him; in three years, I was able to absorb only a fraction of his knowledge...it made me an adequate mold-maker, but an excellent machinist) had a couple of interesting views on that. He said the main difference between a good machinist and a bad one, was, one paid attention to the numbers, and the other didn't. Also, he said "Anybody can make a good part, if he takes enough time, but, it's when you make a mistake, and have to save something, that you find out how good you really are". Plus, my grandfather was a watchmaker, and my father was an engineer for Convair-General Dynamics (both born in Switzerland), so there is something of a technical inclination, and a tradition of excellence in quality, that seems to run in my family; I've tried to keep that going, and I hope it shows in the things I've made.
Arturo

Post by Arturo »

holowizard wrote: I've tried to keep that going, and I hope it shows in the things I've made.
It sure does!
holomaker

Re: "Home Made" holography components

Post by holomaker »

i had to make up a plenum for my latest build , made from a cardboard box, shipping tape...good for "off table" setups otherwise install the fan at the end of a simi-flexible tube!
Plenum 3
Plenum 3
image.jpeg (744.83 KiB) Viewed 3961 times
The attachment image.jpeg is no longer available
The attachment image.jpeg is no longer available
wallen

Re: "Home Made" holography components

Post by wallen »

I'm just starting to collect and build stuff, but the open optics collection at Thingiverse http://www.thingiverse.com/jpearce/coll ... rce-optics has a collection of 3D printable stuff that I'm hoping to use for holography.