Questions from a first-timer...

Starting point for beginners questions.
Antonuzzo

Post by Antonuzzo »

Ah, now this makes sense. Reviewing the hologram that I made yesterday, what I'm getting is a faint, grey transmission image and an even fainter rainbow reflection image. This was made with an exposure range of 2 - 12 seconds on the Slavich plates.

So, I'm thinking... longer exposure and different plates? I've used up the twelve 2.5 x 2.5s that I got with the kit, and don't really want to break in the box of 6 x 4s that I got just for test purposes. Are there any better plates that work with JD-4? Or do I have to go for scary chemicals?

I'm thinking of a more powerful laser too - if anyone can recommend a diode with good stability and decent coherence, I'll be interested to hear about it.

In terms of vibration: My setup is a heavy (full) dresser as a base with the object and plate mounted on a mousemat, which in turn is mounted on a large plate filled with salt. The laser is pegged into a glass full of salt, on top of a brick, on top of a mousemat. I think it's fairly stable...
jsfisher

Post by jsfisher »

Slow down. You seem to be trying too many variations too quickly.

Go back to the simple plate on top of shiny coins for your first hologram--the simplest of all reflection holograms. No transmission holograms. No multi-beam. Don't even try something where the plate doesn't touch the object. If you cannot get that to work, then you have some fundamental issue with technique.
World's worst holographer