Starting point for beginners questions.
nomiss

Simon's Holography Senior Project

Post by nomiss »

Screen Shot 2012-04-17 at 5.00.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-04-17 at 5.00.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-04-17 at 5.02.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-04-17 at 4.57.51 PM.png
Here are the models of each hologram that I have layer out in a vertical position. Im going to have to create different levels of depth in my holograms by attaching spacers to the back of the trees and train cars so they are floating. This will translate to depth in the holograms when they are viewed in their vertical orientation. At that time I did not have all of the soldiers assembled so they aren't in the pictures, but my holograms will have 20-30 more soldiers in total, especially on the bridge. Ill upload the rest later when I get a chance to resize them.
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

Looks like you will have something for the art show for the next International Symposium on Display Holography!
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
Johnfp

Post by Johnfp »

No Sheeaut, that is going to be a nice finished piece. Image
nomiss

Post by nomiss »

Here are the rest of the the train cars. Since I'm having multiple "layers" to my holograms, Im attaching little pieces of wood to the backs of the the objects so that they are raised off of the background so it looks like the trees are behind the train cars. Dave is hooking me up with a lens so that the beam will expand faster after its hit the concave mirror. I expect to shoot my first 8x10 on wednesday. As I'm going over the concept in my head, I a wondering if i am going to have problems with the trees. SInce some of them will only be partially viewable, their non-viewable parts will have to be viewable on the other holograms so it looks like a continuous forest.
Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 12.19.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 12.19.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-04-23 at 12.26.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-04-17 at 5.02.05 PM.png
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

nomiss wrote: As I'm going over the concept in my head, I a wondering if i am going to have problems with the trees. SInce some of them will only be partially viewable, their non-viewable parts will have to be viewable on the other holograms so it looks like a continuous forest.
Now you have your thinking cap on Simon ! Remember display holography is all about playing games w/your brain to make it think it's really there, so the brain will absolutly be looking for that clue , so when placing the trees work that in mind ! (no pun intended) :lol:
jsfisher

Post by jsfisher »

Am I alone in thinking Simon may be just a little too ambitious for his senior project final result? Instead of imagining how glorious it will be when it all works out, I'm stuck on all the possible ways things will go horribly, horribly wrong.

Maybe I am just a lone pessimist....
World's worst holographer
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

jsfisher wrote:Am I alone in thinking Simon may be just a little too ambitious for his senior project final result? Maybe I am just a lone pessimist....
No not @ all Jeffery, i made the suggestion to shoot the engine first, the Caboose second and then shoot the middle cars last, so that way when/if Simon runs out of time he can still have a complete series (even if only two holograms are able to be made!)
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

jsfisher wrote:Am I alone in thinking Simon may be just a little too ambitious for his senior project final result? Instead of imagining how glorious it will be when it all works out, I'm stuck on all the possible ways things will go horribly, horribly wrong.

Maybe I am just a lone pessimist....
With all these high-level holographers helping? Not a chance!. The real question is: will Simon continue with holography after the school project?
jsfisher

Post by jsfisher »

I hope you are both right. It would be good fun to watch him wonder around in DCG-land next.

(Dave, it's John, by the way, not Jeff.)
World's worst holographer
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

jsfisher wrote:It would be good fun to watch him wonder around in DCG-land next.
So long as he stays away from microwaves....