Simon's Holography Senior Project

Starting point for beginners questions.
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

Oops, sorry about that John! ;)
I use the microwave method for my 99% bath all the time with no problem ....... But i wouldnt recommend it ! :roll:
nomiss

Post by nomiss »

Yesterday I added filed down nails to the back of everything so their would be depth when the train and trees are lying down. Its hard to tell from the pictures, but all the trees have different depths as to simulate the depth of a forest in the back. At some angles the thin nails are partially viewable but that was unavoidable. I am fixing the 18 inch railroad track to the plate holder. It will act as a reference point so positioning doesn't change between holograms. I also am close to finished with my stand. For the arms I am using 4 inch nails that have their tips filed flat. This time I am using epoxy per your suggestions instead of hot glue. Its a lot messier to use and takes longer to dry but everything seems more stable. Today I should finish with my stand and be able to shoot a test shot to find out the best exposure time. If everything goes well later today, I should be shooting my first test 8x10 with the scenery by tomorrow.
Here's some pics of everything with the nails attached.
photo-18.jpg
Screen Shot 2012-04-25 at 8.29.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2012-04-25 at 8.32.02 AM.png
Johnfp

Post by Johnfp »

You may want to take one of your trees with the nails and put it in your setup with the lighting that you will be using for making the holograms to insure the nails are not visible or cast shadows where you dont want them. When I used that technique I had to angle the nails at my reference beam angle for a single beam reflection so that the nails were hidden behind the object with the object shadowing the entire nail. Just a heads up. Probably not to big a deal for the train and bridge.
nomiss

Post by nomiss »

Thanks John. Should have thought of that before I spent two hours gluing them to the trees. By friday I have to come up with a title for my project and I have no ideas at this point. Yes i could come up with something standard but I want something more creative. Also, I need to write an artist statement for the concept behind my final project, but in reality, I just chose the train concept because it was perfect size wise for the 8x10 plates and would display well in a consecutive series. I chose trains I thought they would look cool. But now, I have to come up with the deeper intellectual meaning behind all of the artistic choices I made. Also, do you guys have any cool ideas for a >5 minute demonstration that I can do at my final presentation to show everyone how holograms are made or something similar? I was thinking of bringing in my laser and setting up a simple Denisyuk and making a mock hologram with a pre made hologram but going through the steps. Minus developing. Finally, is it possible to delete posts?
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

nomiss wrote: By friday I have to come up with a title for my project and I have no ideas at this point.
Light training?
jsfisher

Post by jsfisher »

nomiss wrote:Also, do you guys have any cool ideas for a >5 minute demonstration that I can do at my final presentation to show everyone how holograms are made or something similar? I was thinking of bringing in my laser and setting up a simple Denisyuk and making a mock hologram with a pre made hologram but going through the steps. Minus developing.
Just before doing the mock SBR exercise, consider setting up a Michelson interferometer. It's easy and quick, and it brings home the concept of interference patterns from two beams of light. It can also be used to demonstrate that absolute need for stability when making holograms as you tap on the table, etc.

ETA: Your laser is a C315-100, right? If you do take it to school, be extra, extra cautious of stray beams, and don't let anyone play with your rather expensive laser pointer.
World's worst holographer
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

Dinesh wrote:
nomiss wrote: By friday I have to come up with a title for my project and I have no ideas at this point.
Light training?
Nice one Dinesh

How about "The Light Train" ?
nomiss

Post by nomiss »

jsfisher wrote:
nomiss wrote:Also, do you guys have any cool ideas for a >5 minute demonstration that I can do at my final presentation to show everyone how holograms are made or something similar? I was thinking of bringing in my laser and setting up a simple Denisyuk and making a mock hologram with a pre made hologram but going through the steps. Minus developing.
Just before doing the mock SBR exercise, consider setting up a Michelson interferometer. It's easy and quick, and it brings home the concept of interference patterns from two beams of light. It can also be used to demonstrate that absolute need for stability when making holograms as you tap on the table, etc.

ETA: Your laser is a C315-100, right? If you do take it to school, be extra, extra cautious of stray beams, and don't let anyone play with your rather expensive laser pointer.
It is a 315. I will make sure that no one gets near it or touches it. I definitely don't need my presentation ending with someone wearing an eye patch for the rest of their life. The reason why I was thinking a mock SBR exercise is because I'm strapped for time and will barely make it with what I have on my plate. Also, long story short I messed up my concave mirror today and I need a new one ASAP. The one I currently have is about 2x2cm but is to small. It has fingerprints on the edges and got scratched. So basically, I NEED A CONCAVE MIRROR. Im going to check out edmundoptics right now for one but if any of you know of a place where I can get one faster or cheaper, let me know.
Johnfp

Post by Johnfp »

I have to totally agree with jsfisher. Set up and interferometer. It shows not only the stability but how the two wave (even in a SBR) interfere to create a standing wave pattern. You won't even need to do a mock SBR. Just the interferometer. Then your 5 minute presentation could explain the Ref beam, Obj beam, and how the two combine to create the hologram. Basically a very good analogy of how a hologram is made.
jsfisher

Post by jsfisher »

The interferometer has the additional benefit of not requiring people to gather around to see the detail of your setup up close. The result is right there big and green on the wall.

Another simple but informative demonstration is with a transmission hologram and an un-diverged laser beam (even a laser pointer will work).
World's worst holographer