Liquid panchromatic silver halide source

Silverhalide Emulsions / Chemistry.
Valery

Post by Valery »

Now I have finished emulsion VE633 for red laser. And VE532 For green.
For panchromatic need to do a new synthesis that takes time 15-20 days.

I am ready to send VE633 or VE532 Any Number.
If it is required to inform how many grams, and I'll let you know the cost.
Valery.
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

I have always thought that liquid holographic emulsions (both silver halide and DCG) is an idea with a lot of potential. Probably, many people are just afraid of doing their own coatings. As for spraying, I have seen it mentioned in the literature very rarely. But I can't imagine that an airbrush at 40psi would be of any use. Not even addressing the coating uniformity, which would be extremely bad, it would take forever to build up a layer of normal coating thickness (dry gelatin layer 5 to 10 microns). The wet thickness is much greater. An airbrush at 40psi would produce a feeble mist, even if plain water was sprayed, and the viscosity of the emulsion (and its tendency to gel) would also be problems. Forget the airbrush. There are many simpler ways to coat emulsion on glass. The more difficult part involves keeping dust off the emulsion as it dries.

Edit: I overlooked that the original poster wants to coat unusual (I assume non-flat?) surfaces. My mistake. In that case, I believe that dipping may be viable in certain cases. While spraying may be an option, I wouldn't be too optimistic about the results, and a lot of development (engineering) would probably be needed. I would be absolutely certain that dipping, or pouring then draining, would not work, before trying something like spraying. But then again, I don't know the kind of end result you're looking for. Maybe if you just want to see diffraction effects, etc., and are able to get a uniform layer sprayed on the substrate, some kind of result could be obtained. Rather than an airbrush, I might suggest a paint spray-gun (for automotive use) with a compressor, and a higher psi. Then hopefully the emulsion won't gel in the spray gun (heat the gun somehow?), then it instantly gels on the (cool?) substrate before it gets a chance to sag. But honestly, this seems like a unlikely series of events. In general, I think non-flat substrates have proven difficult in the past.
dannybee

Post by dannybee »

Joe Farina wrote:I have always thought that liquid holographic emulsions (both silver halide and DCG) is an idea with a lot of potential. Probably, many people are just afraid of doing their own coatings. As for spraying, I have seen it mentioned in the literature very rarely. But I can't imagine that an airbrush at 40psi would be of any use. Not even addressing the coating uniformity, which would be extremely bad, it would take forever to build up a layer of normal coating thickness (dry gelatin layer 5 to 10 microns). The wet thickness is much greater. An airbrush at 40psi would produce a feeble mist, even if plain water was sprayed, and the viscosity of the emulsion (and its tendency to gel) would also be problems. Forget the airbrush. There are many simpler ways to coat emulsion on glass. The more difficult part involves keeping dust off the emulsion as it dries.

Edit: I overlooked that the original poster wants to coat unusual (I assume non-flat?) surfaces. My mistake. In that case, I believe that dipping may be viable in certain cases. While spraying may be an option, I wouldn't be too optimistic about the results, and a lot of development (engineering) would probably be needed. I would be absolutely certain that dipping, or pouring then draining, would not work, before trying something like spraying. But then again, I don't know the kind of end result you're looking for. Maybe if you just want to see diffraction effects, etc., and are able to get a uniform layer sprayed on the substrate, some kind of result could be obtained. Rather than an airbrush, I might suggest a paint spray-gun (for automotive use) with a compressor, and a higher psi. Then hopefully the emulsion won't gel in the spray gun (heat the gun somehow?), then it instantly gels on the (cool?) substrate before it gets a chance to sag. But honestly, this seems like a unlikely series of events. In general, I think non-flat substrates have proven difficult in the past.
I always thought you could use a modified inkjet for coating....it would really make it easy