starting on a budget

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
orion-7

starting on a budget

Post by orion-7 »

hi all,

im a student on a very low budget, and was lookingfor a cheap outfit with which to make holograms. I hear laser pens can be used? Could you please point out where to pick up all tha basic equipment (not too bothered on final quality yet, just curious so far) for a decent price?

many thanks,

chris
BobH

starting on a budget

Post by BobH »

Welcome Chris. Where are you located? Your least expensive option is to work something out with a local holographer. They might also have some pieces of equipment you could borrow to start. Search in the threads here too. You might find all the answers you seek. :wink:
JohnFP

starting on a budget

Post by JohnFP »

Tom B.

starting on a budget

Post by Tom B. »

Re the Integraph kits - go for the plates. Even though the plate size is smaller than the film version, the results (if you succeed) are MUCH more satisfying than the film. Brighter, better contrast, easier to show. And easier to make - film is a PAIN to stabilize. I think Integraf is irresponsible to make it look to beginners as though film is the no-brainer best deal. Another hobby killer.
BobH

starting on a budget

Post by BobH »

I completely agree with Tom! Holography offers very little in the way of "instant gratification". Like, none at all. And after all the meticulous preparation, exposure and processing, the hologram comes out looking OK and you're left with an extremely delicate curley piece of film that you can't touch on either side. Nothing but a pain in the a** to cut, hold flat, hold still, index-match (if you do), move through the trays, hold to dry, dry evenly, clean, hold to look at, and mount flat (if it ever makes it that far).

Best thing to do with film is to first mount it to glass and treat it like a plate from then on. But that takes facility, a laminator, glass that needs to be cut, cleaned and stored, and the time to do all of that. Still, though, probably a better choice than shipping glass from Russia to here.
orion-7

starting on a budget

Post by orion-7 »

Thanks guys, I'd seen the integraf kits, but I wasn't sure if they were any good (or good value, for it seemed very dear!). I'm located in Chester or Aberystwyth (depends if its term time at uni or not). Do you guys know anybody around this area?
oh- eh up, integraf give discount to members of this site- i mean its only 5% but still, thats 5% less than before!

I got curious after reading an old book on it at the charity shop i work at, and one of the things they suggested to try with film, was to make into a cone, place it on top of the object, and shine the laser vertically to make a full 360 viewable hologram. has anyone ever tried this?
Though the method they used for transmission/ reflection holgrams was rather more complex than the one integraf uses, using a splitter and mirrors. does this give better results or something?

Thanks again guys!
BobH

starting on a budget

Post by BobH »

I'm an old guy, set in my ways and not wanting to bother with film. But that's just me. Integraf is a fine company, very supportive and accomodating to beginning holographers, and I strongly recommend doing business with them. All of the issues I mentioned about film can be addressed and you'll be totally amazed by the results. Many here use film all the time.

The difficulty I see with making the "cone" type reflection hologram is in getting the cone of film to hold still durring the exposure. Another problem will be making it hold the cone shape, the exact cone shape it was in for the exposure, after the processing. Another issue will be the shadow of the tip of the cone being cast onto the top of the object. But as an academic exercise, it should work fine.

You can make fine holograms with only a laser, object and piece of film (held stifly between sheets of glass). Actually, you'll also need a bunch of books or cardboard to block off all the stray light from the laser when the "shutter" is closed, some mounting things to hold and point the laser, maybe a lens to spread the beam, glass cleaning supplies, chemicals and processing trays (just like for B&W photography), and a hair dryer. And curiousity about it. And patience. But that's all! :wink:
orion-7

starting on a budget

Post by orion-7 »

well it says to cut the cone to a semi circle, and butt-join the edges with cellotape. then place over your object and shine the laser from directly above (best to do the whole operation on its side though. The given advice is to set the cone into blutack and let it settle for 15 minutes in a still room before shining the laser.

Still, this looks to be an expensive hobby! :wall:

gotta wait till sept so i can use my student loan.....