Pulsed Homemade Hologram

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
Cristiano_Perrucci

Pulsed Homemade Hologram

Post by Cristiano_Perrucci »

Here is a pic of a 10cent Homemade Pulsed Hologram made with Homemade Ruby Laser:

Pulse energy and plate sensitivity are unknown since this is the very first serious test with this rig.

Now I need more ruby stuff. Anyone has M-60 Rangefinder parts for sell? eg. rods, cavities, flashlamps.

tnx
rzeheb

Pulsed Homemade Hologram

Post by rzeheb »

Cristiano, that's wonderful. How exciting to be making holograms with your own homemade pulsed ruby laser!!

Anyway, if you haven't already been there, you might be able to find the components you need on: photonlexicon.com and also on the usenet group called: alt.lasers both sites are visited by laser enthusiasts with extensive knowledge and there is also an active buy/sell/trade going on. Best wishes,
Kaveh

Pulsed Homemade Hologram

Post by Kaveh »

very exciting. Keep us updated of developments please.
a_k

Pulsed Homemade Hologram

Post by a_k »

Hello Christiano

Congrats with the results you were able to achieve with your ruby laser. Would you mind discussing your laser's design, e.g. what kind of reflector and flash tube were used, dimensions of the ruby rod, is the rod is mirrored or were external mirrors used, is it actively cooled, repetition rate etc.? Thank you.

Ahmet
Cristiano_Perrucci

Pulsed Homemade Hologram

a_k wrote:Hello Christiano

Congrats with the results you were able to achieve with your ruby laser. Would you mind discussing your laser's design, e.g. what kind of reflector and flash tube were used, dimensions of the ruby rod, is the rod is mirrored or were external mirrors used, is it actively cooled, repetition rate etc.? Thank you.

Ahmet
The reflector is a homemade alluminum cylindical reflection cavity, the rod is 3inches Lenght x 1/4 inch Diam with mirrored ends, the medium is pumped by four 250J (max) helical xenon lamps. The system is uncooled since the pulse rate is 1 shot every 60 seconds.

By the way this laser is built to be just a bread-board rather a Holographic system!

Cristiano
a_k

Pulsed Homemade Hologram

Post by a_k »

Thanks a lot for the information. I just saw some ruby rods with 99.6% / 55% reflective mirrors. Do you use something similar? Did you pay attention at what pump energy level the lasing starts (capacitor size/charging voltage)? The most challenging part would be to get TEM00 and improving the coherence length i guess.

Please keep us posted.
geso

Pulsed Homemade Hologram

Post by geso »

Interesting! So your laser had no frequency selecting etalon?
Tom B.

Pulsed Homemade Hologram

Post by Tom B. »

(loud applause) - Very cool!

So what was the plate and how was it developed?

(more applause) - Simple homemade pulse lasers good enough for holography could open lots of possibilities...
Cristiano_Perrucci

Pulsed Homemade Hologram

a_k wrote:Thanks a lot for the information. I just saw some ruby rods with 99.6% / 55% reflective mirrors. Do you use something similar? Did you pay attention at what pump energy level the lasing starts (capacitor size/charging voltage)? The most challenging part would be to get TEM00 and improving the coherence length i guess.
Yes, I used similar rod. I carefully calculated the Pulse Forming Network to get the maximum efficiency, very tricky job because I did not have the datasheet of the flashlamps. The rod starts to lase around 600J input, quite hight energy maybe due to possible improvements of the reflective cavity. Also the flashlamps aren't the state-of-the-art for laser applications, they were designed for photography pourpose.
Concerning the TEM, with this kind of rod is not possible to select modes since there is no way to access to the resonant cavity.

geso wrote:Interesting! So your laser had no frequency selecting etalon?
Correct

Tom B. wrote: So what was the plate and how was it developed?
I shot the test hologram using my homemades plates sensitized in the deep red region by the add of cryptocyanine dye. Years ago Jeff suggested me to give this dye a chance with his diffusion method, and it seemed to work fine.
The test holograms was developed as I usually process my holograms: phisical-chemical developer followed by rehalogenating bleach. A combination of D-19 and FeEDTA bleach should work too shifting the final image to the orange.
Dutchelm05

Pulsed Homemade Hologram

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Cristiano_Perrucci wrote:geso wrote:
Interesting! So your laser had no frequency selecting etalon?
When shooting a coin I don't think this would be an issue. No need for coherence length.

Very nice Cristiano.