Hello and Pulsed laser coherence length

Starting point for beginners questions.
Grayham

Post by Grayham »

Hello All

I'm new to this group so want to say hello first and also ask for some advice please.
I've decided to get back in to holography. I used to make small holograms about 20 years ago with a 2mw randomly polarised HeNe and they were ok but not great.
Lasers are so much cheaper these days so thought it might be fun to have another go.
As a side project to me setting up my hobby room and a holography table i am also going to build a pulsed laser, mainly just for fun but if i could make holograms with it then that would be nice.
Nd:yag is easy to get hold of and i just bought a rod of ebay for not a lot of money and plan to build/buy a cavity and frequenzy double to 532nm.

In a CW set-up you can build an interferometer and see the fringes but i don't see how you could so this with a single pulse so am wondering how to tell you have a decent coherence length or how to ensure the output is coherent in a pulsed laser.

It anyone has put one of these together and has any advice or can point me at a resource it would be appreciated.

Thank you
Grayham
BobH

Post by BobH »

Welcome! Those using pulsed green lasers like to run the oscillator at a low frequency ( I think like 30Hz) without the amplifier rod being energized. That, along with persistence of vision, gives the ability to use an etalon to project fringes on a wall or screen. A single set of fringes indicates single longitudinal mode operation.

Building your own pulsed laser to make holograms is a big challenge, unless you design and build lasers all the time. I'd recommend looking for a great deal on something very old and making it work. Anyway, best of luck with the project!
Grayham

Post by Grayham »

BobH

That has given me something to think about. The pulsed laser is only a side project and expect it may take a year of thinking with some trial and error.
I am going to start really simple with the holograms though, just some single beam reflection holograms while i try out a few cheap diode lasers.
I'm hoping to land a couple with a half decent coherence length.

Thanks for the input.
Grayham