Pre Recorded Holographic Video Projection

Starting point for beginners questions.
gdr

Pre Recorded Holographic Video Projection

Post by gdr »

Hello Everyone ,

Just had a question about holographic videos . Not sure if this is out yet or how to get access to .

Can we have a holographic video which is prerecorded or preset to perform certain actions and display that anywhere using a projector ? This might sound confusing so allow me to paint a picture.

Say i own a business and want to advertise that to the general public at traffic lights. So i go up there and turn my projector on and my character who is a human billboard walks with the pedestrians until the end of the road which is in itself is a recorded video. So people can see a holographic human billboard walking with them and also noting down the contact details of my business.

So can something like this be achieved or is it too futuristic at the moment ?

Your comments would be much appreciated. Thanks. :)
Din

Re: Pre Recorded Holographic Video Projection

Post by Din »

No, it can't be done. Any imaging system must scatter light, or deviate light through an optic, such as a lens. In a hologram, the image is formed by interaction with light onto an already recorded hologram. Once the hologram is recorded with an object source (say, a porcelain cat) the object is "hard-wired" onto the holographic medium. Illuminating the holographic medium will create an image of a (already recorded) porcelain cat, but it'll be static. Also, it can only be observed within the confines of the holographic medium. So, if the holographic medium is a glass sheet 8" x 10", the image of the cat can only be seen inline and within the confines of 8" x 10". It is possible to encode video onto a hologram, but the video will play out as the hologram is rotated or shifted laterally. It is possible to record a video, and have the equipment rotate the hologram (for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nq4ri2t-HI ), but again, the previous limitation remain. The hologram is pre-recorded and the image is fixed, also it can only be viewed within the confines of the medium.
gdrayat

Re: Pre Recorded Holographic Video Projection

Post by gdrayat »

Makes Sense.

Thank you very much Din.