Best Plates

Starting point for beginners questions.
erose

Best Plates

Post by erose »

Hey Folks. I am finally back to the forum and getting myself set back up. I last shot holograms in the late 80's. I will be starting with single beam reflections, a 10mw HeNe and a home made isolation system. When last I did this stuff I was using Agfa plates, D19 &/or Pyrogalic(sp?) developers. I still have some good optics to go along with that old laser, including a spatial filter. I am going to be wanting to limit the variables to get started and want to use plates before I start building film holders.

Basically any suggestions for brand/emulsion of plates and developers would be helpful. I do have great notes from years back as well as a number of good books for reference but I know things have evolved AND I hate re-inventing things that others have perfected.

Oh, and one of the main points of this is to introduce my 15 year old daughter to holography and make it a bit easier for her as well.

Thanks in advance.
Ed Wesly

Best Plates

Post by Ed Wesly »

IMHO I would recommend something I got courtesy of Stas at Geola, a product made by Sphere-S in Russia, not Slavich. It was labeled GEO-3. I got great red and green exposures on it, processed as I mentioned in this thread: http://holoforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=69

This stuff is the real thing, I am sorry to have not dabbled with the processing regimen that Sphere-S recommends, as this is the end of the semester and I had some serious deadlines to make, plus my stock of plates ran out as I was trying to balance the combined colors on one plate. So you may want to try his, but I can assure you I am extremely happy with the results I got.

I would only recommend Slavich PFG-01 in a pinch, unless you want a noisy, not so bright drop-in replacement for Agfa 8E75HD. Although I did try Slavich PFG-03M with Dr. Jeong’s developing scheme, it still worked best with the infinitely long development time of GP-2.
Hearsay has it that the only other things that I would recommend, the BB series of plates from Colour Holographics in England, is no longer being sold to the public? Maybe someone from that company can clarify matters.

I have sampled some other materials out there, but they are nowhere near as good as the GEO-3! It makes a very bright hologram with the final plate being pretty much crystal clear, not like that milky, scattery look of Agfa and PFG-01. Only problem is that you will be exposing about 4 times of what you normally would with the last two mentioned, but it really is worth it!
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
Jem

Best Plates

Post by Jem »

Ed Wesly wrote:Hearsay has it that the only other things that I would recommend, the BB series of plates from Colour Holographics in England, is no longer being sold to the public? Maybe someone from that company can clarify matters!
I can absolutely and catagorically state that this is NOT true. Colourholographics are still supplying BB plates to the general public.

How do I know this?, well, i've just come off the phone with Inaki Beguristain who works for Colourholographics ;)

Just wanted to clear things up before the rumour mill went in to overtime :D

Cheers

Jem
Ed Wesly

Best Plates

Post by Ed Wesly »

Excellent! Damn that hearsay!

The BB 640 and 520 that I have been using are similar to the GEO-3 in Signal to Noise and Brightness. The only fly in the ointment with the BB plates is the annoying pre-sensitization in water, TEA or whatever before exposure. I don't like having to do these extra steps as it is just another place where things can go awry, like fog, drying marks, plates not being absolutely dry and emulsion moving during exposure and/or weird color shifts.

Both of these materials are so superior to old Agfa, Ilford of the '80's and 90's, Fuji, PFG-01, that there is no real reason to buy those, unless you have low-powered lasers. Of course it's a moot point since only the PFG-01 is in production. The only major issue is that the BB and GEO need about 4 to 8 times as much exposure!

Thanks for following up, Jem, and let's hope that we hear from a US distributor of the plates! Right now I have too much on my plate to do that legwork!
HoloM

Best Plates

Post by HoloM »

Where can these GEO-3 plates be bought?

Any supplier in europe or even germany?
Ed Wesly

Best Plates

Post by Ed Wesly »

I got mine from Stas at Geola, but Sphere-S is a member of this forum also.